• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seattle area freedive pool buddies?

berta_c

May 13, 2024
Hi pals - new freediver here, just completed the AIDA2 pool course, and psyched to keep those skills up til I get back to warm waters next winter (am holding off on completing the open-water AIDA2 here in the PNW till, oh, maybe August? ;)
Meantime, looking to connect w/other folks to practice skills with til then - is anyone else doing pool training in Seattle?

Also, I'm looking for advice on a freediving wetsuit. My Mares 2.5mm (scuba) suit wasn't warm enough even for our pool training, after a couple of hrs (it's also a bit baggy), but I don't think I'll need all of 7mm for open-water summer diving here - or will I?
I imagine I'll need to try a few on, but there's only one small shop anywhete near here - how do others manage? Do I just grit my teeth and shell out for a custom suit?

So happy to happen across this group!
Warm regards to all -
berta

Hi Beta, who is doing AIDA courses in the Seattle Area, never heard of any competitions there either, what can you tell me about those? Custom suits don't have to be expensive, you generally just have to wait a little while. Are you diving in fresh water or in the ocean mostly? If you are in water at 50 F - 70 F you 5 mil unlined suits should be a good fit, anything colder than that, you might as well get a 6.5 or 7 mil and be good to dive year round.

I don't do any pool training but I do dive in Puget sound in the Tacoma area

As far as suits go Puget sound is about 52° in the winter and maybe 53 in the summer and I use a 7mm free dive suit which is unlined open cell on the inside and I still get cold after about 30 to 45 minutes

I buy my suits out of Hammerhead Spearguns in Hawaii and use a 1.5 mm for the tropics 3 mm for moderate temperatures and 7 mm for local diving

I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 7 mil but maybe some people are not as sensitive to the cold as me

If you're looking for freedive pool buddies in the Seattle area, there are several ways to connect with fellow enthusiasts. Joining local freediving clubs or online communities can help you find like-minded individuals who share your passion for the sport. These groups often organize practice sessions and meet-ups at local pools, providing a great opportunity to improve your skills and enjoy the camaraderie of fellow divers. Additionally, for businesses aiming to enhance their online presence and attract more customers, investing in SEO services Liverpool can be highly beneficial.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT