• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Second hand rob Allen sparid

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Yoho,

. . .

Regarding reverse mechanisms, they do enable you to get a longer band stroke by setting the spear further back in the mechanism but, we have found no advantage due to the fact most can’t pull a strong band that far back anyway. These guys then fit a longer band, eliminating the advantage.

Regards,
Rob Allen
:D I did wonder if that might be the case!

Some shark-fin equipped spears have fins quite far forward, which would shorten the effective stretch of the bands. I suppose that might be desirable in some cases (to power-down/ease loading) but would tend to negate the benefit of switching to a reverse-mech.

Some folk cut their (bulk rubber) bands shorter than normal to increase power (and/or perhaps to remove the gnarly deteriorated ends bits? :) ). But that makes it hard to load. I tend to cut mine a little longer than normal and have not yet felt tempted to shorten them.

Yeah I thought it was the old muzzle, reckon it’s worth changing?
I liked the old muzzle, I haven't tried or seen the newer one, but I have shifted to open muzzle last year or the year before and prefer that now, I find it a little quicker and easier to load. I see there are some 3-band muzzles available now too (probably 4-band ones too) but unless you are going big game hunting it seems a bit OTT (take a look at some of the record fish speared with 2 band RA spearguns ;) ).

With the rubber length and type your local spear shop should set you up pretty well and even show you the knots so you can do it your self next time it’s a lot easier then YouTubing it.
Those mecks you couldn’t lean on them too much or they just wouldn’t fire so stick to the recommended length/size rubber.
Happy hunting

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT