• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seeking advice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Joao Pedro

Feb 19, 2015
Hi,
First, I would like to excuse any typping mistake. I'm a 22 yr old, live in Brazil, graduating in engeneering, and I love sea specially surfing. I love it so much that I want to break any barrier that stops me from doing it. Right now, I'm having trouble with my breath. Recently, I experienced a heavy wipeout and I run completly out of oxygen I thought I was going to die. Part of this problem I know it's because I was extremely nervous before and during the wipeout. Not only that, lately I've been weaker in terms of breathing hold capacity. The anxious part I think I can solve with time. But what I really been lacking in information is what I should do to increase hold longer without breathing. I know that cardio helps and I'm already working on it. is there any specific daily training to help me, besides cardio?

LOTS of dry breath holds at home in your bed, fully relaxed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your breath hold capacity suddenly drops, it might also be for medical reasons. Are your lungs alright? Or did you recently suffer from pneumonia or flu?
Other than that the mental aspects is vital. Keep cool and avoid panic at all times. Take the time how long you can hold your breath, and compare it to the "regular" time when you are being held down after a wipeout. A minute breath hold is quite long, and I never experienced such a long time under water after wipeouts. But I also don't have experience with spots where you have BIG waves...[emoji16]
Anyway, keep cool, protect your head, don't struggle too much, as this will waste oxygen and wait to get out of the worst mess and then back to the surface.
Although dry breath holds can help to increase your apnea time, I'd guess that the main factor is to conserve oxygen during hold down, and handle the situation in a controlled and cool manner.
To increase breath hold capacity on top of that, check the forum for dry CO2 and O2 tables, or apnea walks. These exercises can also be fun, and help to gain confidence that there's still a lot of air in the tank and nothing to worry about.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Big wave hold downs seem like forever, but they aren't, unless maybe you are talking 25 ft face or more (way out of my experience) . The problem is the high level of co2 you have to deal with, makes it uncomfortable as heck so it seems like forever. Three things, 1: make sure you are still breathing during the ride. Don't start a wipeout with an existing breath-hold. That can be harder than it sounds. 2. learn to really relax as the washing machine throws you around. Relax and feel what is happening. You will learn when and how to get to the surface quicker. Also, it conserves 02 and helps you DR kick in faster,more 02 conservation. 3. as AA says, work on dry breath holds to build co2 tolerance. You can do them exhale. Might be best done in combination with apnea running but be careful(run on something soft, you can pass out). That better simulates the wave riding/wipeout situation.

As an example, I bodysurf in 10-14 ft face waves (on the rare occasions when they are available). If I screw up and really get hammered, I roll up in a ball, relax and feel the water. When the major turbulence subsides, its time to swim to the top. Doesn't usually take long, but 10-15 seconds can seem like eternity.

Last edited:
Reactions: HydroApprentice
Yes, you likely need to relax, become calm & accepting of your situation - after all, there is not much you can about anything. Meditation and/or yoga might help.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT