• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

seeking information on the Red Sea

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cdavis

Jan 21, 2003
We are searching for a freediving destination on the Red Sea. We are reef crawlers, not line divers and are looking for high relief, super coral, preferably big fish, the ability to spend hours in the water, and not needing a wetsuit. Possibles so far are Marsa Nakari, Marsa Shagra and maybe Lahami. Anybody familiar with these or better destination?

We are searching for a freediving destination on the Red Sea. We are reef crawlers, not line divers and are looking for high relief, super coral, preferably big fish, the ability to spend hours in the water, and not needing a wetsuit. Possibles so far are

Dahab the best freediving destination on the Red Sea

Dahab is, of course, tempting, but line diving the blue hole is not our cup of tea. Its my understanding that the coral along the coast is not as good as the more southerly sections of the Red Sea and the vis is bit better there. Can you comment on that?

Thanks

Connor

Its my understanding that the coral along the coast is not as good as the more southerly sections of the Red Sea and the vis is bit better there.
You are wrong here.
You can try any other dtstination. Vis in Egypt are great everywhere. In my opinion Dahab the best for free. But Safaga also very good.

We've been to Marsa Alam last November, first time to Egypt/Red Sea, but definitely a trip we enjoyed a lot. Lots of coral and a rich sea life. No big fish but I was there with my kids so I mostly stayed inside the bay. Turtles, lionfish, rays and the usual reef inhabitants like surgeonfish were plentyful. I brought my wetsuit but only used the jacket. Depending on how cold resistant you are, you might get away without a suit until December and then starting from May (I guess). However if you want to spend hours in the sea it might not be a good idea as you will simply feel more comfortable with a suit, which results in better apnea times. Next time we want to try Lahami bay - hopefully less traffic there.

458Mike, thanks for the reply. Do you have experience diving both Dahab and the southern areas like Marsa Shagra?

Hi “cdavis“
If you are interested in the Red Sea for exploration and not for pure apnea, then take a look at this link… many reports with photos and videos… on my French language forum

https://snorkeling-passion.forumactif.com/f13-afrique-mer-rouge-sinai-ocean-atlantique-ocean-indien
thanks for the reply. All the info I can get is useful.

Alas, I only speak english. Looks interesting though. I wonder if I can find a translation service?

Not sure what pure apnea is, but if its line diving, not my area of interest. For us, think spearo without a spear, exploring new reef with great coral and terrain is my love.

Hi “cdavis“

Google translate can help you (copy paste)… if not please ask me
https://translate.google.com/?hl=fr

Pure apnea here below

Exploration in freediving here below ( please choose 1080p resolution to watch the videos)

Indonésia Kri n°1 2017

Red Sea Sentido October 2018
1 The lagoon

Here a little apnea
2 Shaab Marsa Alam

3 Back to the lagoon
with Bop…bop… clownfish sounds at 5:53

4 Abu Dabbab

Retrospective Abu Dabbab in 2008

Here a little apnea
5 Zerib Kebir

Bye
dcvf

We are searching for a freediving destination on the Red Sea. We are reef crawlers, not line divers and are looking for high relief, super coral, preferably big fish, the ability to spend hours in the water, and not needing a wetsuit. Possibles so far are Marsa Nakari, Marsa Shagra and maybe Lahami. Anybody familiar with these or better destination?
Dahab is great ... but I am from the Saudi coste and we opend the door for tourists ... nothing beats a boat trip in our side... but for great beach dives dahab is amazing and I do consider it mu second home ... don't miss the canyons dive site

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT