• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Selfmade monofin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Zmagoj

Mar 30, 2010
Hi all!

I have started a thread "selfmade freediving fin" in the bifin section, with a pending discussion about the subject.

However, I decided to try also with a monofin and to organize things I started this thread.

The aim is to build a fin for diving down to 50m. I have never swum with a monofin before, neither hold one in my hands.

Hope you will find it useful and looking forward to your comments, suggestions and critics.

Regards,
Zmago

Here is the first I've ever build, hold in hands and dive with.

Its a poor kicking, I know.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OABIiHpvtDs]YouTube - Monofin prototype p1[/ame]

Last edited:
Wow, they look really good.
They seem noticeably stiffer than your bi fins that you made, did you change the lay up of your fins?
Also Have you thought about gluing on side rubbers to channel the water down the blade so there is less "water spill" off the side of the blade. This would increase efficiency a lot.

Wow, they look really good.
They seem noticeably stiffer than your bi fins that you made, did you change the lay up of your fins?
Also Have you thought about gluing on side rubbers to channel the water down the blade so there is less "water spill" off the side of the blade. This would increase efficiency a lot.

Thanks.

I can not write a review, because I am less than a rocky here, and haven't had any in my hands before. First we have to learn how to use it and try some serious dives. If I'll find someone (pro) here in Slovenia, I will ask him to do a test and review.

I am not so sure about the yield of the rails. I will try, but first I have to find someone selling cheap rubber parts.

I forgot to mention in the bifin thread - if there is anything that is not OK and should be changed,please say so.
The replays I am really looking forward to are the critics. Its the way to make things better.

Last edited:
do you think that if you go the 10 layers of twill it will be too stiff for a bi fin?

do you think that if you go the 10 layers of twill it will be too stiff for a bi fin?

Too stiff!

This mono doesn't have uniform tickness. It varies from 2.5mm (stiff) at the footpocket to 1mm at the tip (very soft).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT