• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Senior Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

alchemist

Aug 15, 2007
Hello from Essex in the UK!
I am a 53 year old who has become interested in freediving over the last year or so. I tend to be more into such things as static apnea and DNF and....
I have a question:
Are all the records, both international and national, just general or is there any age categorisation such as you have in cycling or golf?
I ask this as it would seem to be a difficult task to catch up with guys and girls 30 years my junior but feel that I am doing reasonably well with the training and would like to know what kind of targets I should be aiming for.
If anyone can shed any light on this question I would be greatful!

Hi Alchemist,

Welcome to DB, its a fun place and very encouraging for "mature" divers.

No masters program for freedivers, sorry. However, I'm not sure we need one. I'm 57 and diving deeper every year. There are some pretty "long in the tooth" divers who are going past 50 meters, and I think a grandmother still holds one of the US records. Ain't it great.

Your own training depends on how intense you want to get and how long you keep it up. Genetics probably helps, but I find that steady practice still pays steady dividends.

Connor

Thanks you Trux and CDavis!
It is encouraging to know that so many of the best freedivers are a tad long in the tooth! I followed down some of those leads and found some interesting information. I particularly like the part about slower metabolism may actually help the older diver, kinda nice to think of age actually being an advantage for a change.
My own efforts are at an early stage but am up to 50M DNF in the pool and a breath hold of 3 minute 30. That last figure has improved quite nicely since downloading a little training program from I.F.A - Freediving In Israel - Education
The way it is going there should hopefully be more to com.
George

That last figure has improved quite nicely since downloading a little training program from I.F.A - Freediving In Israel - Education
That one is, I believe, from Ricochet (also a DB member). It would be kind of I.F.A. if they credited him properly for it and did not offer it as if it came from them.

There are also some other apnea programs with different features. You can see most of them listed here: software @ APNEA.cz
My Apnea Training Manager tries to go little bit further and offers more than just plain CO2/O2 tables - it offers also entire training sessions (both for static and dynamic training) and many other features.

Hi Essex Alchemist
We tried senior records in the US but some young gal in her 50s set most of the female records and three world marks too. Caused a few problems. There is no question that you lose one heartbeat every year all else being equal. Trouble is, all else is never equal and heartrate is only limiting at max aerobic effort. Nothing in free diving is ever done at max aerobic effort, nothing.
My view is a little jaded of course but like my father told me, 'you never know until you try'.

Thanks Bill,
The replies I have had since have certainly offered a different perspective on the issue. I am quite into NLP and there they have the concept of a reframe. With the seniors thing I had a frame that was quite negative but the posts I have received since have almost forced a reframe...hey, its not so bad after all!
George

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT