• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

September, India, Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tamoshee

me and the deep blue sea
Jan 1, 2004
A variety of fish taken off the western coast of India. All taken freediving in waters with visibility as good as 5 metres! Water temperature 27-29 C, hunting to no deeper than 10m. Guns used .... SeacSub Asso 75 and a Demka Ami.

All these fish taken by myself and Anton Fernandes (in the 4th photo holding the mangrove snappers) These snappers and a collection of other fish caught this day (trevally and sea bream) were all cooked in an Indian tandori clay oven over charcoal, possibly no finer way to cook fish!

The others featured in the photo's are Vassudev Shetgoankar and Sunil Temka

Anton has never owned a pair of fins or snorkel in is life and uses a mask that must be more than a decade old. I sometimes nudge a modern mask in his direction which he never approves of. Anton was one of my spearfishing mentors for many years and has taught me a great deal about hunting.

The grouper was 7.3 kg and taken on our first outing to 2 rocks named Uncle and Nephew after 2 local canoe fisherman who died there. I suspect we were the first spearo's to ever fish there. A huge sea eagle sat on top of one of the rocks for the entire duration of our visit.

Back in England at the moment but flying to India on Thursday. I'll try to take a few pictures of the coastal scenery next time and perhaps a few more fish.

David

Attachments

• DSCN1202.JPG
    DSCN1202.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 424
  • DSCN1206.JPG
    DSCN1206.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 430
  • DSCN1208.JPG
    DSCN1208.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 439
  • DSCN1210.JPG
    DSCN1210.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 415
Reactions: fuzz
hello Tamoshee,
nice fish .will be visiting goa shortly.where is the location of the fish in the pictures.
regards
godfrey

Hi Godfrey
Most of these fish were taken in the far north of Goa towards Terekhol. There are good fish to be had all along the coast but particularly in Pernem taluka. All of the major rocky headlands are good... South Anjuna reef, South Vagator, Vagator cross, Chapora headland, Vithaldas Rocks, Arambol Headland, Terekhol, the estuaries of the large northern rivers are good also... Mangrove Snapper travel upto 10km inland. The main factor determining whether you'll catch fish is the weather .. strong northly winds whip the water up until visibility is zero. If you can get a boat visit Grande island of Vasco, Ive never been but Ive heard that because its slightly offshore the visibilty is better and there are certain to be fish there, snapper, barramundi, baracuda, bream, grouper. Good luck

alright mate
really happy to hear there is spear fishing in india...
im off to india at christmas and love spearfishing myself.
i was abit worried cos i couldnt find mush on the net about spearfishing in india and am really pleased to hear i dont have to siton the beach with my bird.
have to get myself another gun for crimbo
woop woop

Tamoshee,

I spend a lot of time in North Goa. What is the most appropriate speargun for Goa? Brands? Length? I am new and would like to practice out there since I'm on the beach alot.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT