• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Setting Up the Freediving Buoy.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Moben

Nov 13, 2016
Hey all,

I'm soon about to purchase my first freediving buoy. I am comfortable with the buoy, and rope set up, generally, but I have a few questions....

1. What can I use for a strap to put the weights on (standard diving belt weights). What is the best way to attach this to the rope?

2. I will need some kind of floating safety line to stop us drifting into the endless blue sea. Initially I will be diving off shore and will anchor the buoy on some rocks, I guess. What is the best thing to use and what should I know about this safety line?

3. Are there any resources online that run through the whole setup? (rope, knots, weighting, safety line, etc?)

Previously we have been using line anchored to an underwater structure at -10m, but with a new location I think I have to anchor on the shore.

Please forgive my ignorance in these matters. Thank you!

1. buckle strap on weights attaching with a heavy duty carabiner.

2. If the location isn't fully protected, you will have to read the tide chart. Drift diving is better in this regard but you will need some forms of transportation like kayak or boat service. The benefit is you will have access to deeper water.

3. Standard rope braiding to shorten the length.

Thanks for the replies. I found a dive shop and the fellow is going to cook me up a mean weight strap setup. On my way!

Thanks for the replies. I found a dive shop and the fellow is going to cook me up a mean weight strap setup. On my way!
What did you do for the anchoring ? Or did you opt for the drifting with the current approach?
Also, you have the line in the buoy, how do you go on from there? The buoy has just D ring on bottom side.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT