• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

shaft lenght

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sebastian

Oct 9, 2001
Hi,

I´ve been thinking why the shaft of the spearguns are so much longer than the gun itself. I can think of reasons to make it shorter:
It would be faster since the less weight, it should have more range for the same reason, and it should be more accurate because of less bending in the firing process. Also it would be less subject to bending when missing a shot and hitting a rock.

But I cant think of any reason to make them so long, ¿does somebody know why?

If not I´m going to reduce the lenght of mine and give it a try.

Regards,
Sebastian

Sebastion

When I started spearfishing the shaft was only a few inches beyond the end of the gun. Some one added a foot, the gun handled almost the same and was more accurate. One big advantage, the fish was now closer to tip.

Dirty water, in caves, halibut shooting or using a five prong and I like the short shaft better.

best wishes
Bill

Longer shaft actually makes for more range

The extra weight translates to extra momentum and better power and penitration. It is true that it will be a bit slower, but that is not as much an issue in range as you might think. The increased momentum which is a function of mass and speed is directly related to the range of the shaft.

I use a shorter shaft if I am fishing for smaller game that does not require serious penitration or medium to long range shots. It is also true that shorter shafts are more manuverable and alow for faster target aquisition, but it is frustrating to loose a good fish because of a glancing blow or a shaft that does not punch through.

-b

shaft length

Hi Sebastion,
Another reason besides those already mentioned is you get a better sight picture w/ a longer shaft. I usually use the next size shaft up in length on my guns. I'm shooting mostly euro style guns and they typically use lighter shafts than American and some other guns so the extra length actually helps w/ added weight. True the lighter shafts w/ extra length do bend easier but thats what happens sometimes. I don't think you'll see much difference in bending by taking off those few inches. hope this helps. Good hunting.
Jay

Spear length

Hi all,

Something I've noticed experimenting over the years (that makes me feel so old!!) is the relation between shaft lenth and accuracy.

In any gun (except railguns and closed - track guns) you get a sag in the spear because of the pressure / force of the bands. When the spear gets released, this causes the spear to wobble. Now, if you've got a short spear, say 2 inches beyond the muzzle, you'd more than likely shoot higher than you'd aim. If, however, you use an extra long spear - sticking 20 inches past the muzzle - you'd shoot low. It is a compromise between length and sag that needs to be made for accuracy. I saw an article somewhere on the web once that had pretty detailed info on this. If I can find it and get permission, I'll post it here.

This, once again, only has to do with looong guns. I've never had a big problem with my 65cm gun I use for caving. The only time I had issues were when I put 8 rubbers on it ..... was quite entertaining trying to explain to my girlfriend where the black eye came from .... :D

Hope this helps !

Regards,
Riaan Coetzee

Sebastion,

By shortening the shaft, it will be faster and travel farther but with less kinetic energy. It will not hit the fish with the same force because the shaft is now lighter. I have shot a fish a little out of my range and did not penetrate the fish. The shaft came back with a scale stuck on the tip.

How is your gun shooting now? Shortening the shaft will cause it to be stiffer resulting in a higher shot because of less shaft whip. If your gun is shooting low, check the shaft. It could be bent. Also, how does the barb fit on the shaft? Does it sit on the top or bottom?

My gun shot low so I made a few minor adjustments. I plan on testing it out sometime this week. Might need to tweak it a little more.

Shorty

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT