• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shaft Overhang in Rob Allen Guns???

fishingmarmot

May 7, 2016
Hi to all Rob Allen fans,

I would be grateful if somebody of you tells me the shaft overhang (end of muzzle where the spear touches the rail to the tip of spear) for Rob Allen Tuna rail guns:

1. 90 cm gun with (standard) 130cm spear
  2. 100 cm gun with (standard) 140cm spear

Yeah, I know, the overhang should roughly be the same…

Why? I am pondering to order a RA and I am wondering what’s the shortest spear I could use on these guns – regarding travelling with the shortest luggage possible. And spearfishing stores in Germany are extremely rare, so it’s hard for me to check the measures by myself.

Thanks a lot. Cheers,
Chris

Hi to all Rob Allen fans,

I would be grateful if somebody of you tells me the shaft overhang (end of muzzle where the spear touches the rail to the tip of spear) for Rob Allen Tuna rail guns:

1. 90 cm gun with (standard) 130cm spear
  2. 100 cm gun with (standard) 140cm spear

Yeah, I know, the overhang should roughly be the same…

Why? I am pondering to order a RA and I am wondering what’s the shortest spear I could use on these guns – regarding travelling with the shortest luggage possible. And spearfishing stores in Germany are extremely rare, so it’s hard for me to check the measures by myself.

Thanks a lot. Cheers,
Chris
See if you can grab Rob's email from his website and email him directly. He's been very responsive to me in the past. That might be faster than someone here responding.

I am not an expert on Rob Allen guns, but I remember when tube guns had no tracks he said that they used the shaft overhang to somewhat counter shaft sag on the gun, the spear only being held at two points, the muzzle and the searbox mouth, or a small ramp just in front of it. Once a gun has a track from front to rear that doesn't really matter anymore. I recall some Chinese guns when they first came out, the Shark from memory, their spears were so short the floppers almost ran back to the muzzle! A shaft projection helps with aiming as you have something to provide an alignment picture as to where the gun is pointing, but otherwise it is not supercritical on a gun with a track.

I used to have a photo of the Shark, but right now can only find the rear handle.
sea hunter nee shark R.jpg

Found the photo here on another thread.
shark speargun.jpg

On bulk order these Shark guns were 30 bucks each!

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! In the meatime I got the info that ist is abou 25 cm with both guns.
I had a 90cm RA Sparid 90 cm which I used exclusively for several years but eventually sold when I switched to a much lighter speargun.

My 90cm model had a rail on the barrel but a very normal 40cm overhang as best I can recall - the same as a speargun without a rail might have.

I think my Omersub spearguns have a similar overhang and no rail ( TBC).

My most recent Apnea spearguns have shorter overhangs but I think that is a more recent fashion. I can't recall if they have rails (I will check when I get home later ;))

BTW I think the Sparid, at that time at least, was almost identical to the Tuna model but just had a single rubber, not 2 like the Tuna, and likely a slimmer spear (6.8mm on Sparid I think?). It had a double muzzle and 2 spear notches though - so it could be upgraded to 2 bands easily enough (good old Rob Allen! :) ).

I never felt any need for a second band. I tried a single 20mm band but it just bruised me :(. A single 16mm bulk rubber band was usually plenty for the GB fish I encountered (usually the spear went through the fish and out the other side).

Last edited:
BTW I think the Sparid, at that time at least, was almost identical to the Tuna model but just had a single rubber, not 2 like the Tuna, and likely a slimmer spear (6.8mm on Sparid I think?). It had a double muzzle and 2 spear notches though - so it could be upgraded to 2 bands easily enough (good old Rob Allen! :) ).

I never felt any need for a second band. I tried a single 20mm band but it just bruised me :(. A single 16mm bulk rubber band was usually plenty for the GB fish I encountered (usually the spear went through the fish and out the other side).
Yes both Apnea have rails: the 95cm roller overhang is 22cm and the little ST-60 has only about 11cm overhang. Both have modern reverse trigger mechanisms, which take about 5cm more spear.

The Omers overhang is only about 27cm each. Thought it was more but I probably consider the difference between spear and barrel tube length.

But as already said, with a rail the length should be much less critical. I think I asked RA or this forum once and was told 10cm shorter should not be a problem.

The extra length is really just to balance the spear so it doesn't droop in the middle when there is no rail to support the middle.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT