• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shall my mask rest in peace...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pekka

neoprene dreamer
Aug 22, 2001
I just came back from long day of diving.. it is quite a hassle when you dont have a car so you pack everything in a bag and then haul it around.. specially if you gotta take a train and then a bus to get to a decent place for diving..
I would like to know if anyone has used rocks/sand from the shore as weights.. I really don't like the fact that I am carrying around about 8Kg of lead around with me..
Well anyhow, after a day of diving and trying to keep my mask from leaking too much...I have to admit that my trusty mask has come to end of its road.. it is the mask I started diving with and I wore it when I made my CW record, I shot my first fish, I wen't diving to a military restricted waters... I wish there would be something I could do to save my dear "EyeFul" mask.. but I think the silicone around has gotten so fragile that patching it would be like trying to stop sea from moving.. So let her rest peacefully on my shelf and I can look at it and remember how it was to dive the first time bit deeper and how it was to dive at night in Egypt.... hmm:inlove

Do you guys have some equipment that just has the extra bit of value that even if it is not usable anymore you just can not throw it away? Well I have my mask now...

Safe diving to you all!

Pekka

Last edited:
Actually ... Yes!

and it would just happen to be my U. S. Divers Jaques Cousteau-style mask. The rubber (that tells you how old it is since they have made them with silicone for years now) is finally cracking and lets more water in than it keeps out. I broke the strap last year when I tried to put it on and I replaced it with a slap-strap that worked really well but.... well, it has seen MUCH better days and will be replaced before my next dive....

Farewell old friend!

Bret

other than me?

I too have an old and trusty mask that has seen better days. Lots of them. It's an old rubber skirted Dacor single pane job that is still better at keeping the water out and my eyes covered than the $1000 dollars worth of other masks that I had to have to go deeper, faster, cooler... It's got more cracks in it than Whitney Houston but it's right there on the shelf.

I have a real old Useless Divers double hose regulator that I use when doing the photography thing. The bubbles don't exhaust in front of my face and behind the housing so my vision is smooth.

And as evidence that if you wait long enough it''l all work out, I've been holding onto a little worn pair of Scubapro Jetfins, size small that I got the ex waaay back when. Don't ask... :head Anyways, they are now on the feet of DB Contest Judge, Eric ans he's rocketing! Karma works.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT