• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shallow dives

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fondueset

Carp Whisperer
Jul 27, 2004
Last weekend I went out to my usual summer spot and it just didn't feel right, so I went to my alternate.

Fall is an awesome time of year to dive here. After labor day the tourists vanish abruptly, the weather changes and I share the bay with salmon fisherman and a few sailboats.

Saturday had a distinctly autumnal feel. Low, puffy clouds with grey bottoms clipping along in a brisk west wind. The alternate spot (elmwood for those in the know) is sheltered pretty well from everything but the rare east wind. Its an area with quite a few sailboat moorings and a large harbor, which makes it noisy and dangerous earlier during the summer.

I decided to head out along the breakwall. Typically I'll traverse the length of the first wall then either cross the harbor mouth to an area with a huge sand bar and steep dropoff, or hang a right and dive the edge of another dropoff. A couple of easy monofin sprints took me almost to the end of the first breakwall. As I surfaced and looked down at the usual school of interested smallmouth bass I saw the white telltail fin tips of a very large walleye. With no time to breatheup I did a quick drop on about 3/4 lungfull while the Walleye was still close enough to relate to me vertically - I've found once I get into a horizontal thing with them the rules change a bit, but as an object dropping vertically I'm pretty interesting. Plus I had the large rock breakwall to help minimize my profile. The Walleye spooked mildly then came in very close. I was short on air but waited until it moved off a bit before gently surfacing to get my camera.

For the next dive I left my float in the rocks and moved out into the open plain along the dropoff. I do it this way to avoid obstructing the channel with my float. The trick is to dive and surface right near the breakwall in order to avoid boats. A couple easy undulations down and then a 'ground-effect' glide out into the open space.

It was beautiful out there, with Freshwater Drum, Carp, Bass, Walleye and meter-long Salmon cruising ominously in the distance. Not a good day for photos but I got a few just to show whats down there.

Off the tip of the breakwall I spotted a carp feeding on the bottom and got right in close before it saw me, even then it was pretty casual. I like these long hangs in shallow water where you start to feel like part of the community.

Last edited:
As ever real class stuff with the camera there mate, well done and keep those photos coming.:)

Very nice place to dive. I wish I had somewhere like that to dive around here! Great pics.

-john

Chris,
the beauty of your pictures is beyond words. I often think that had Caravaggio been able to observe the underwater world, he'd have portrayed it in a very similar way as in your mysthic shots.
The more I see your pictures, the more I reach the certainty that you are an Italian artist of the 16th century who is still alive after such a long time for some mysterious reason, and since he (you) don't want any unworthy people to put their sordid hands on the secret of his (your) immortality is now living under cover of a fake indentity, just trying to make us believe he's a dude from Michigan.
Spot on?

Last edited:
Reactions: trux and podge
Hey Salibandy - thats me in Max's Hyperfin by the way.

Thanks everybody. Ignore Spaghetti, he has been driven mad by unresolved aesthetic issues. I do use a special elixir of ground petoskey stones and olive oil, but only for cosmetic purposes.. The good news is I'm pretty sure the Earth is actually flat, and only appears round because of Einstein. Its good to have that finally sorted out.

I have been experiencing a strange compulsion to paint. Sometimes the camera just can't get the feeling of whats going on down there.

Speaking of which - heres a painting my daughter gave me. Also a picture of my dive buddy, Jason, who has not been the same since JimDoe2u talked him into buying that french wetsuit.

Last edited:
I recently learned that really good olive oil does not have that little burn at the back of the throat. Apparently this is caused by either not pitting the olives first - or by using olives that are not quite ripe. The bad news is the good stuff costs like $30us for a 12oz bottle!

the good stuff costs like $30us for a 12oz bottle!
It's because we have cut the production: the current price of olive oil was up to 4.37 Petoskey Stones per gallon late this morning (source: italian stock exchange, 11/09/08).
Anyway, me myself I'm not affected, if not positively, by the oscillations of the market, as I happen to be, luckily, a true "magna pars" in the business of extravirgin olive oil.
If you PM me I can supply you for just 3.37 Ptsk/gal, but this will remain between you and me. :)

Last edited:
I first noticed this when using the petoskey stone extract/olive oil mixture with what proved to be substandard oil - afterward it almost appeared that some parts of me might be aging. But then I learned that cracks in the toenails are normal with frequent monofin useage.

FYI Spago - some disreputable types have been exporting ptsky extract diluted with zebra mussels (called 'ptzky'). This can result in translucent skin which poses the interesting possibility of developing a symbiotic relationship with certain algae resulting in the atrophy of normal eating!! The impact on Italian culture is too much to even contemplate(no pun intended).

I first noticed this when using the petoskey stone extract/olive oil mixture with what proved to be substandard oil - afterward it almost appeared that some parts of me might be aging. But then I learned that cracks in the toenails are normal with frequent monofin useage.

FYI Spago - some disreputable types have been exporting ptsky extract diluted with zebra mussels (called 'ptzky'). This can result in translucent skin which poses the interesting possibility of developing a symbiotic relationship with certain algae resulting in the atrophy of normal eating!! The impact on Italian culture is too much to even contemplate(no pun intended).

I've read something about that ptzky sh....t, and I openheartedly hope the italians won't drink the Kool Aid this time, not again!
One hope: it's proven that extravirgin olive oil can dissolve ptzky particles and, somehow, "cover" the translucency to an extent that, people, will not be aware themselves.
But it's got to be "extravirgin": if it's second or third choice (low quality) oil, never in life it's gonna work.
This puts on the table the problem of controls and enforecment, which we lack dramatically. Needless to say our country is precipitating into the abyss and nobody phucking cares!!!

Fortunately the new Italian Hadron Collider (built in Italian Switzerland) makes it possible for Italy to renew itself on the sub-quantum level several million times a second!

Speaking of which - did you know back in the 70s Alice Cooper LEFT Rachel Welch!!?

Hadron Collider: fingers crossed! :)
Alice Cooper: what a jerk! Rachel rocks!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT