• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shallow water blackout

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

A.Naish

Dec 10, 2017
I have never had a black out not in any situation, until today. So today we were doing a debrie dive, and after diving for about an hour, i blacked out at the surface. DIDN'T see it coming, but my buddies were quick enough to get me into the dive platform. I wasn't going very deep, just about 5m in a lagoon and i was not hyperventilating and i have a ringing sound in my right ear ever since, AND i had difficulty walking (i couldn't balance my self) after the recovery for a few minutes. Anybody has an idea what just happened?
(The water was VERY murky)

Sounds like an inner ear barotrauma. Sometimes a reverse block can cause the small or large window to rupture causing balance problems and ringing. When it initially happens you'll most likely get hit by extreme vertigo which could potentially lead to fainting which for all intensive purposes is a blackout.

Go get your ears checked by a dive doctor and don't be surprised if it results in 3+ months off from diving..

I think so too. My right ear is still not back to normal, and im experiencing hearing loss in that ear :(. Will be seeing my ENT soon

Sent from my HTC One_E8 using Tapatalk

I think so too. My right ear is still not back to normal, and im experiencing hearing loss in that ear :(. Will be seeing my ENT soon

Sent from my HTC One_E8 using Tapatalk
Don't worry too much about it.. on my first open water dive m after my AIDA2 course my middle ear filled with blood and I ruptured my small window from a hood squeeze. Luckily it was during the winter and I had no problem taking 3 months off. My hearing came back about 90% (damaged hair cells) but I was cleared to dive and haven't had any equalisation issues since.

An alternative reason is a blood pressure blackout. In the initial phase of a breathhold your blood pressure can rise as high as 300/200, as reported in an old DAN freediving workshop. It stays higher than normal because of the dive reflex. Your blood is primarily in your torso and head at this point. When you reach the surface and breathe out the blood can flow rather dramatically to your arms and legs. This can lead to short term loss of pressureto your head. I have had it happen, and I saw it happen during a world record attempt in 2002 that I was a safety diver for.

I have never had a black out not in any situation, until today. So today we were doing a debrie dive, and after diving for about an hour, i blacked out at the surface. DIDN'T see it coming, but my buddies were quick enough to get me into the dive platform. I wasn't going very deep, just about 5m in a lagoon and i was not hyperventilating and i have a ringing sound in my right ear ever since, AND i had difficulty walking (i couldn't balance my self) after the recovery for a few minutes. Anybody has an idea what just happened?
(The water was VERY murky)
Hello Naish,
So sorry to hear about your experience. I had a very similar one ear wise. 3 months ringing/hearing loss hasn’t changed. 2 ENTs later just steroids. Has your ear improved at all? Hope all is well

Reactions: adriannaja
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT