• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shaneshac is back

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I am spearing in Gibraltar. It is a british colony in the southern tip of spain. At the entrance to the mediterranean.

If you look under Shane's name and picture/avatar it says location, Gibraltar, Europe. Its a good idea for everyone to put this bit of info in, you can do it in your user cp at the top of this page, then edit profile. It can help you meet new freinds in your area. Saying that I wouldnt want to go out fishing with Shane!
NOPE!! He'd catch all the fish :(

ohh nice...

Tell me can a tourist spear there, or you need special license?
I want to take a spearfishing trip somewhere in the med.
Can you tell me in what depth are you spearing we are capable to spear in 0-20 meters is it enough?

and for everybody do you know a good place to take a spearfishing trip?
I would love to answer question about Israel as a spearfishing place? by the way it's a great place but I want to try different place.
Here we catch every med fish? just say and I will post some pics, of shy drums, grouper, spanish mackrels, red sea bream.... etc....

thank you
ben

Its unbelievable Shane....
We have get tired to send you congrats but did not.
Marvellous...
Whats the local name of this fish in Spain(trancha or another thing??) and can you tell us a little bit story of the catch,at what second it came,the range ,etc?

Aydyn,

The days was already going quite well as within 15 minutes of my dive after a long aspetto, and allowing a couple of "Sargo pizutto" to swim by, a school of about 50 orata dropped from the surface. I selected good sized one amd whacked it through the gill plate and out the lateral line, mid body, on the other side. It weighed 3 kilos.

After this i did a number more aspettos in about 15m of water. On one of my drops i was looking where to land on bottom as this time of year there are lots of scorpion fish. I did not realise that on my descent there was a group of AJ around me. When i hit the bottom they swam out to the deep and did not come back.
So the next aspetto i decided to go a bit deeper.

I dove to 17m where the rocky bottom meets sand. I lay there for a while looking into the depths for any signs of AJ or bonitos. In the distance i noticed a strange shape. THe water was very murky so i could not tell what it was. I pulled myself along the bottom once and realised the shape was a fish. It seemed like a "borriquete" at first but this is a rock fish and would not be out in the sand. AS the fish was holding its position i moved forward.
"HOLT SH*&" its a huge dentex. It was holding its own in the current angled towards the surface about to ambush a group of sardines at the surface. I moved even closer making asure i did not spook it. It was then that i noticed the crest and knew it was Dentex gibbosus (we call it SAMA) "Dam it where is Tahiti or Mamba when i need it!!!!" I knew however that my picasso century carbono 110 would not fail me. I took another push forward, took aim and "WHACK"

I swear i saw the shaft drop as it whizzed a lot further than i expected the fish to be. I thought jeezez its too far away. The shaft struck righ underneath the pectoral fins. Went straight through. The fish lit up and ran. I looked at D3 and it said 1:40

So keeping slight pressure on the fish i swam to surface. It made a few strong dives but got tired quite quick. ONce it was about 6-7m from surface it gave up and swam to me. It was only then that i realised the size of this thing. When i saw it coming i was actually scared :D

I pulled out my knife and dispatched it in one stab. Less than 1 and half hours dive and i was back on shore with the monster and the orata.

Shane,
That is an exceptional catch in every way. Congrats!!! In the Adriatic sea this species is almost (if not already) non-existent. I haven't heard of a catch of this sort here... Is this your first catch of this kind or do you regularly whack them?
Would u think that catching this kind of fish is as difficult as the usual Dentex?
Cheers
S.

This is the first time i have seen and caught this fish underwater. My spearing buddies have caught a total of 3 in the last 20 years so it is not a common fish to catch speaing. Lots are caught by boat anglers.

They are not as easy to spook as Dentex, but at the same time i do not think they are attracted by a spearo so are in effect harder to catch. Also monster specimens like this one swim alone or accompanied by one other of the opposite sex.

holly shit !!!!

Congrats, once again, the shane is back !!! ;)

Thanks for the story mate.You have described all the details and we all have dived with you....Very very nice catch..
Did the cdies reach to you?8 days ago I have mailed to you...

I think Shane went to dive and waiting for another Dentex Gibbosus...

Thanks a lot Aydyn

Yes i am waiting for the next gibbosus. This time i will try for a 20k one :D

AS soon as my sony p120 gets hooked up to my gun, you will all be spearing with me ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT