• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shark dive

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

charcarias

Mar 22, 2008
here our some pics of my last two shark dives.
1st dive[/URL]

Our first dive we rented a "cpt" who owned an inflatable boat and followed the cage tour guys out to the location. This was all of our first shark dive and not sure what to expect..
Well it turned out so well that I got my own inflatable (two month of saving up). our first dive after breaking in the motor was the shark dive. This time my GF Nancy stayed in town to work. And trust me she wasn't too happy about missing the dive.

second dive[/URL]
some pics
DSC00889.jpg

sharkfeed.jpg

sharkfeed2.jpg

DSC00877.jpg

doingthemanny.jpg

DSC00834.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

yingandyang.jpg

the pics dont represent it too well but we had 6 sharks around us for most of the dive.
I also feel comfortable enough to take some criticism as well, (as long as its not about my spelling ;) )

Nice pics,

Are these sharks that get fed regularly and, if so, do you notice any significantly different behavior(when you are not feeding them) between them and sharks that have not been fed?

Just food for thought. A guy I once knew hand feed a big green moray for a lot of years. One day the moray took half his hand.

Connor

these sharks have had food for the last 30 yrs, some from the scraps of Crabbers, Or the cage shark tours. The main diffrence I see is that the sharks stay in one area, 3 miles out. even just a mile closer to shore and you wont see a single one. I also think that while they are not demesticated they are alot more mellow and relaxed towards us.

As far as the moray, I would never feed an eel, they have bad eyesight, super strength.

sharks are, Smart and have great eyesight. But we all understand that accidents can happen.

Nice pics,

Are these sharks that get fed regularly and, if so, do you notice any significantly different behavior(when you are not feeding them) between them and sharks that have not been fed?

Just food for thought. A guy I once knew hand feed a big green moray for a lot of years. One day the moray took half his hand.

Connor

Hi Connor,

when you said took half his hand, does it mean literally taken off from his arm or just swallowed it then released it? Do you have any idea on venomous sea snake behaviour?

Took it off his arm, thumb and one finger I think. Never experienced a sea snake. Videos of them look pretty freaky to me.

Connor

Holy Smoke!!! :blackeye That will be a good lesson not to be too friendly with the eels.:martial

Sea snakes are amazing creatures to watch and don't really pose a threat to divers or freedivers . They are highly venomous but have tiny fangs , children in Indonesia sometimes cover their ears if sea snakes are around , the ears being the only spot thin enough to receive a bite ! Snakes will interact with divers , checking out hoses or their reflection in a mask , again nothing to worry about just stay calm and enjoy . Two things to bear in mind though , snakes become aggressive if prevented from returning to the surface to breathe ( so would you ) and not all snakes swimming near land are sea snakes , some land snakes also hunt around reefs , these have larger fangs and I'm not sure how temperamental they are in water . I have dived with land snakes in the water ( by mistake ) , they seemed non-aggressive but maybe give them a wider birth than true sea snakes . Hope this is of some use .

Those are nice pics- it looks like a great experience. We take our chances in the wild, on its terms. The payoffs are tremendous!

What is the fish designs for on the fins? flashers? or just designs? It's only now i noticed, i thought he was wearing a carbontek fins

Those are nice pics- it looks like a great experience. We take our chances in the wild, on its terms. The payoffs are tremendous!

I like that quote and I agree.

What is the fish designs for on the fins? flashers? or just designs? It's only now i noticed, i thought he was wearing a carbontek fins

The reflective design on the fins serve two purpose, It attracts predatory fish, which is why it was originally placed. But we found out that on deep dives or in murkier water we where able to keep track of each other from the surface.

The flashers on the fins really get the sharks curious. We did the dive agian on thanksgiving and Had a blast.

Reactions: Erik
looks like tons of fun i am jealous, great pics have you considered getting some chain gloves?can't tell if you have them on or not, might be a good idea just in case of a accidental nip

no armor. no need.

Got a video up.

was using a sony sr8 with top dawg housing.. I think im going to stick with still pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the video was great good action maybe some tighter shots of the sharks would be my only suggestion other than that fantastic how far out do you have to go to feed these guys

That looks so freakin awesome. I'd love to go on one of those dives with you. You'll have to take me out there sometime and show me how its done. I'll send you a PM when I get to honolulu. peace-- Jamie

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT