• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shark Hunting

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
haha saw this thread and just had to reply... my dad speared stuff off rhode island when he was a kid. supposedly he hit a small sandshark about 3 1/2 feet long near the tail and suddenly it started atacking the fish on his stringer. he got his knife and killed it immeditely. thought you'd all like to hear that.

I can see what Amphib meant by "this is a sore topic!" What I had in mind is lots of exciting stories about shark encounters while spearing, and tips from experienced spearos from many parts of the world on how to handle various situations. I really did not expect the heated discussions about the ethics of the sport :hmm . Still hope we see the stories posted though.

Power heads: I can see there is no "sporting" in using them to hunt non-aggressive fish, but to label them as out right taboo is really meaningless. It depends on where you spear, if you are quite sensitive to carrying PH and spearing in tropical reefs where most sharks could be fended by poking them with the tip of the spear, then probably you don’t need the PH. But if you go where there is a good chance to meet GWs, Tigers, Makos, or any of their friends, Chances are that they will not let you leave quietly and calmly as you whish and a PH might save your ass!. The PH in this case is an absolute necessity. Check out the story of the two spearos attacked by a GW: Spearo Fatality – Cape Town. Since the GW’s approach was noticed and even one diver managed to spear it, I can’t help but think that a PH instead of the normal tip on that spear could have made a difference.

Hi guys!

Lots of controversy in this thread! Cool down!!
Now... This topic is interesting and I have a question based on it... In mexico we have a very tasty shark, the local name is "cazon" is usually 3-5 Feet long and is not a baby shark, it's supposed to be some kind of "midget" shark but despite it's size is known to be a bad mood shark that will not hesitate to attack if provoked... But is so damn tasty that I'll not hesitate either to shoot one given the chance!!! (Whenever I see a good one in the fish market I buy it, eat a big steak and offer a cazon dish as "the catch of the day" in my restaurant).

Here comes my question... If I see one, what is the best spot to shoot it?, I heard that is not a good idea to shoot the head and is much better to shoot the stomach to hit the large liver... This sound counterintuitive to me... :duh But I have no experience at all with sharks and the advice that I received in this forum has been always great!

Best regards from Mexico!

P.S. Don't worry... I'll never shoot a shark that I'm not going to eat

I like to hit them in the gills...pisses them off good and hasnt gotten me bitten yet. Be careful and stay away from the pointy end.

Luis said:
In mexico we have a very tasty shark, the local name is "cazon" is usually 3-5 Feet long

Hay Luis, any more details about that tasty shark. Another common name, maybe a scientific name, or even better a photo (taken at the fish market will do!)

Then you must post a reciepe for that "Cazon" dish you mentioned. :cool:

As far as where to shoot, I believe if you can manage a head shot from top it would be best. Shots through the gills are not too bad if the shark is small. The worst I think would be body shots. In most cases the shark will try to run away from you as he quickly realises you are the cause of his agony. But when you approach him and he is cornered, most likly he will try to bite!

GinoBlue said:
Well, it depends in which part of the world you are spearing. In some parts many species are illegal to shoot. In the Red Sea and Gulf of Oman where we hunt, it is not. In my view if it’s not illegal and it is edible, it satisfies my criteria for a game fish. Especially if it poses a challenge.

Spearfishing is also illegal in Dubai... i guess you are going up to the Musandam?

island_sands said:
Spearfishing is also illegal in Dubai... i guess you are going up to the Musandam?

Not from Dubai, but from the east coast. I havent been to Musandam yet. I am planing to explore that area, but probably by end of September. This month I should be doing some free diving West of Alexandria on the Med. Since I have moved reciently to Duabi I am short of a good buddy in both Scuba and free diving.

Hi guys!

Thanks for the info, now if a "Cazon" or a not too big mako pass within my reach I'll shoot it properly.

About the "cazon" scientific name, I'll try to find it, and next time I hit the fish market I'll bring my camera with me. The sharks in the market are always "headless" I don't know, maybe the fishermen sell the jaws for souvenirs and also you get the body without fins (Asian people buy them in advance and all we get is the flesh) Anyway as soon as I spot one of those sharks in the market I'll take a picture, and maybe you can identify it... But without head, and fins it may take all C.S.I. team members to get the identity of the "cazon". :duh

The recipe that I use for this shark is a very simple one, the flesh is so good that you don't want a heavy sauce... Much better a simple marinade... And the secret is a charcoal or wood grill, it adds great flavor.
I'll post the recipe later to give you the exact quantities, I cook by instinct, so let me get to the kitchen with my scale to measure the amount of each ingredient.

Best regards to all of you, and keep hunting!
Luis.

Hi guys!
Those ones look preety much like baby sharks, this ones are a bit bigger, still small but look like adults, I'm not sure if that is the right shark, I'm calling now my fishmonger to know when is he receiving a decent piece of "cazon" and I'll take a Pic. ASAP

Best regards!

Hey guys!

I just placed the recipe that I promissed to you in the recipe thread area in this forum. See ya! I'm working on getting a decent picture of a cazon!

Cazon sharks are some of the Carcharinidae family. I think those Luis are talking are from the genus Mustelus. May be M. lunulatus (smoothounds shark / cazon mamon) or M. californicus

In other places they call "cazon" to some species from the genus Carcharinus sp, those are the white tips.

Cheers

the shark tasty meat has always been part of the traditional mexican cuisine, from the panuchos de cazon, of Veracruz, to the Bacalao"(Christmas cod, that actually is just salted shark meat) and the Machaca, that is great in burritos and scrambled eggs. In Mexico we love sharks and protect them, but the Nasty fin sisheries are lowing the bio mass of Sharks to a dangerous degree. That is so dangerous for the spearos too cause, the megasharks prey on smaller sharks, and guess what they gonna eat instead for the lack of prey..?

hi am from Oman and am shore spearfishing is not alowd and you can go to geil for tow yaers not coz the fish coz Oman any type of Gun is not allowd but some divier use it .

I hate to come on a new forum and post like this as my first post, but this gem from zeN got me going. :p

"as far as sporting, frankly I don't hunt for 'sport,' though it may seem semantical to some, I hunt because I am a hunter,"

lol, semantical. No it doesn't sound semantical to me. It sounds like you are a guy who "hunts" because they get a kick out of killing stuff, not because you are a "hunter"
, don't flatter yourself.

Obviously another Walt Disney Character with a camera, looking for Nemo zeN||

Last edited by a moderator:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT