• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shark - I hope this is FAKE

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SAFishShooter

Waiting for Summer!!!
May 28, 2002
Hi

Check this. Don't know if this is true but if it is then I'm diving in the shallows from now on. DUUUUUDEEEEEEEE It's huge!!!!

Cheers Reinier

Attachments

• shark-1.jpeg
    shark-1.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 3,672
Doesn't seem fake to me!
Even though every other comparable object is in the background and the fish looks a bit bigger...

yeah, the photos real I think. Many moons ago some guy, I'm pretty sure it was Vic Hislop caught a massive Great White off the Victorian coastline in Australia.

That was back in the days when it was still considered a public service to kill a shark. Before people woke up...:rcard

Uhm ....

Isn't that the GW they caught off Richards Bay last year? They caught one in the 1600 Kg class on a drunline there last year. It sure looks familiar ... he he he

Richards Bay?

The license plate on the trailer is Victorian, and the clothes (like *yikes dorling*) suggest a 80's theme...;)

hi

Quite a long time ago Vic Hislop had a Shark museum up here in Cairns Nth qld, I remember that he had a massive great white on display and we went down to see it, It was in a massive empty aquarium. Might have been the same one.

He had some cool stories to tell about catching tiger sharks up here. Stuff like the sharks attacking his outboard motors and getting ripped to shreds by the props, and he also once said to us that he could take you out to any reef up here and catch you a big Tiger :naughty

cheers

whats scary about that shark caught off richards bay is that it was decribed as adolecent. apprarently the grown up (6m) sharks only hang out in the cape. i'm not sure if thats much of a consolation though.

shadow, i was under the impression that oz was sticking with the 80's threads :confused:

Here is the picture of the Great White

That they caught in the shark nets in Richards Bay. It was so heavy they had to take it to a traffic weigh bridge to weigh it.

Attachments

• white shark1.jpg
    white shark1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,286
The first shark picture is of a shark taken just off Phillip Island (near Melbourne). When staying there overnight I went into a pub there and they had that photo, as well as a couple of other ones, as well as a brief story about the shark.

It was caught on a line by Victor Hislop, using a 300lb greasy cod as bait, set in 30 feet of water less than 200 metres off shore at seal rocks.

I've been spearfishing in about the same place the shark was taken.... makes you think twice, doesn't it :hmm

The shark at RB was caught by the sharks board, on a drum line .... nasty new piece of equipment they've got. Apparantly it's a 44 gallon drum anchored to the bottom, with a big piece of meat on a big hook attached to it. Go figure.

Originally posted by SASpearo
The shark at RB was caught by the sharks board,

Those are some amazing yet disturbing photos you guys have there.

A question for those in the know...

I can understand how and why sharks are caught in the nets off the swimming beaches but I don't quite follow the practice of catching them on a drum line.

Why would the Sharks Board use a line to catch them when they aren't directly threatening the beaches? Is it part of their ongoing research?

Thanks

Ash

Hi

I think the reason that they use the drum lines is that other "Innocent" sea animals like dolphins and sea turtles were being caught in the shark nets. This is more selective and only targets sharks according to the Shark Boards.

I was just wondering while I was typing this. Wouldn't a big piece of meat actually attract sharks to the beaches ?

I'll quickly check on the Internet for the site of the sharkboard.
Here ya Go

http://www.shark.co.za/

Cheers Reinier

Last edited:
Hi Renier

Thanks for that link.

I had a look at their site and it had the following info on drumlines:

"It is hoped that, in the future, a further reduction in environmental impact will be achieved through replacing some of the remaining nets with baited lines or "drumlines".

A drumline is an alternative shark fishing device in which a large 14/0 fish hook is attached to a heavy duty trace which is suspended from a large float or drum. The drum is anchored. The hook is baited regularly. A drumline has the advantage of being unlikely to catch dolphins, turtles and rays and also it is more selective in terms of the shark species caught.

In Queensland, Australia drumlines are used together with nets. Although the NSB has been experimenting with drumlines for some years, their introduction into general service will be subject to the successful outcome of a final period of testing which began in 2001."

Answers my question pretty well.

Ash

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT