• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shark Safety

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yesterday a woman was bitten by what was probably a great white shark while swimming at Corona del Mar, California.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-shark-attack-newport-beach-20160529-snap-story.html
Sharks test bitting, unbelievably I have two mates who were bitten both on the foot in the same year whilst sitting on boards,bull sharks can make mistakes but they mauled a women to death at in qld few years back.What is scary is some thing that hunts you with out mistake and every time I visit the far north rivers ,I stay very alert.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-...in-croc-attack-daintree-far-north-qld/7457878

Australian firm develops 'shark-proof' wetsuits
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23357682
_68808216_018676623-1.jpg

http://www.wired.com/2013/08/wetsuits-that-use-science-to-deter-shark-attacks/
pilot-fish-with-shark.jpg

"Pilot fish’s black and white bands tells sharks “don’t eat me!”"
http://eidonsurf.com/tag/anti-shark-wetsuit/

http://indosurflife.com/2013/07/can-wetsuits-patterned-like-venomous-fish-prevent-shark-attacks/
shark-repellent-rushguard.jpg

A friend just gave me a followup on that woman bitten off of Corona del Mar.

I just found out her Dr reported a semi circle bite radius from her upper chest down to below her pelvis hip area. Broken ribs with punctured lung, tooth serrations found in bone. Unfortunately sounds like a big one. (White)

She is a a Triathlete who was training, her great conditioning I feel is what kept her alive and able to tread water and call for help.

Wow, that sounds like a big shark, I hope she makes a full recovery. I remember as a kid, those pictures of Rodney Fox after his attack were in every shark book out there. The amount of damage they can do in such a short amount of time is mind numbing.

About three weeks ago a friend of mine had a relatively small great white (maybe 10 to 12 feet?) swim under him in very poor visibility. It just kept moving on, but he and his buddy decided to pull anchor and try another spot. I'm sure that I would have done the same thing.

Luckily, or unluckily depending on your point of view, we do not officially have great whites in UK waters, although if we actually don't I would be very surprised, as food source, conditions and temperatures are ideal in some places/ times of year but yes, if I saw a 10 or 12 foot Great White swim by me in the murk that I normally dive in I would be out of the water pretty dam quick! I watched a program once were they tested a GW's reaction to eye contact, some of the sharks would swim by when the diver was looking at them and come back when their back was turned, it was a definite, measurable effect. I guess even a GW cant afford to be injured during an attack so would prefer to have total surprise.

Reactions: landshark sa
I guess even a GW cant afford to be injured during an attack so would prefer to have total surprise.Which tells me they totally don't know what we are and are usually more curious.They are intelligent.
One thing I always tell people who I would dive with,Never piss in the water.African surfer Shannon Mosly has been attacked by three GW and no one knew why they had an attraction too him,Turned out he was a perpetual pisser.

All the close calls I've had with sharks where when they approached me from behind. In my experience, except for maybe Mako's (they just feel rocks and will try and eat anything) most shark species demeanour changes completely when it sees that you have spotted it and keeping an eye on it. Also, I think in a sharks world size matters. A spearo with long fins and gun will look like a big and formidable prey and like Pinniped72 and Danny.c says, may not be worth the risk to the shark getting injured.

It does seem as if they guys locally have built up some sort of tolerance to diving with them. A couple of weeks ago I was buzzed by a smallish (+/- 3,5m) GW. I did what I thought most normal spearos would do and warn my dive buddies, get into the boat and get ready to move to another spot. There was another boat diving about 100m from us so we went up to them to warn them about the shark but I was baffled when the guys in the water said thanks and just continued diving.... There was also another boat with spearos diving in the same vicinity, so again we went up to them and told them about the shark only to receive the reply that yes, they've seen it and again they just kept on hunting:eek:

Sharks may be careful where food is plentiful but hunger can have a powerful effect on animals (& people).

Reactions: Danny.c

Here is a shark that's not hungry.I have cured shark attack forever,just dress up as a sucker fish chase and hang onto them ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT