• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shark Shield Issue

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Did some more research into the topic, (which I probably should have done in the first place) but we all know I'm lazy , and boyz seems like the two most worrysome senses would still be smell and hearing. Since both of these range in the kilometers.

So for all my spearing buddies without shields.... Sorry boys im protecting my crown jewels from this point onwards at all times. Good thing all my buddies on this forum do have shields lol.

hey covert, used your charger yesterday and tested my shield out...works great! still not 100% sure if i should charge on 750MpH or 1600......anyone know?

shot! tested it out in the bath with the gfriend! hehehehe she got a fright! hahaha

Strange that, mine doesnt you dont feel mine in clear water or when its dry. only in saltwater...
Her face should have been funny though rofl:chatup

wierd! i read somewhere to test it out, put it in a bucket of water and put your hand in...you can definately feel it!

almost made a 2-18 comment :p thank gawd i cought my typing finger before it started.

It works in saltwater, Ive forgotten to swith it off more that once, or while crawling though the kelp in millers rofl

worst is when catchin kreef....the antenna happens to fall perfectly into the hole without u noticing and u grab it as well as the kreef!

once my dive buddy caught a kreef so fast he gave it a heart attack, he let it go and it fell to the bottom, dead! was so funny!

i have a 4 hour freedom unit for when im doing a recreational dive, but i have just lately bought a new unit that attaches to the back of my surfboard, and this unit lasts for 7 hours... you wouldnt think its too far down the track before diving units outlast a dive!
For what its worth i believe there is indisputable evidence that the shark shield is 99.5% effective... if theres a 6mtr white that wants you... hes going to get you!
remember... i heard more people die of bee stings than shark attacks! its just bees dont have big pointy teeth!!!

yeah i saw the surfboard unit, it looks great! how does it effect your surfing? only place i surf and worry about sharks is muizenberg, but then i just use my regular shark shield..

I have a question for the guys with the shark shields: Do these devices only offer personal protection? I ask this 'cos being an advocate of the buddy system (ie one on the surface and the other down below) it would seem the field might be large enough to cover both individuals - more esp. a friend that might not be able to afford a shield. It may be a dumb question and I will be researching the equipment, but I'm asking it anyway 'cos experience is often the best teacher...and experience is the reason I am looking in to this addition to my equipment...I recently returned from the Bahamas and had an experience with a hammerhead. While working a series of lobster holes in about 40ft on the Sound side of the Exumas there was a sudden change in visibility and I lifted my head in time to see an eye-ball slowly pass my field of vision. Still not registering, I was more concerned about the colour and clarity of the water, when I realized that what I was looking at was the side of a large moving object ...this object finally came to an end and I realized that it was a Hammerhead...a fraking monster! There was no aggression at all and it seemed that it was merely a chance crossing of paths. We stayed in the water for a couple more hours and never saw this guy again. I later found out that an area/location close-by was a known breeding site for Hammerheads. So...I started thinking about Shark shields...B

Yeah never fun swimming into a shark, I have personally swam into my fair share of ragged tooth sharks (grey nurse shark). Though once again I should not be diving in bad viz.

But in any case back to your question, we do have friends that dont have sharks shields, And it doesn't necessarily protect them, the range is only 5-10m (lets call it 5 for accuracy sake) which means most of the time your buddy will be out of effective range.

Where it could come in handy though is that if you have spotted a shark, your buddy can swim towards you as close as possible and then you can head back to shore in the protective field. This should work.

Though my opinion is that if there is a chance of sharks in your area GET A SHARKSHIELD!! People complain they are too expensive and yes they aren't cheap. But its a hell of allot cheaper than replacing a limb :D

Thanks For The Reply !!!

I Am From Carolina Puerto Rico ,i Start With My Open Water License On 2002, But In 2005 I Discover Free Diving And Spearfishing... So I Am Here To Learn About Techniques And Tips . So Anything That Anybody Want To Know About My Beautiful Island Feel Free To Ask. :)

nice :) welcome to DB any question have a search and if you cant find the answers feel free to fire away. We are a helpful bunch of freaks here :)

Anyway post some pics i need a holiday lol.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT