• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

SHARK SHIELD

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

David C Galea

Oct 14, 2016
Looking to purchase a shark shield, I hate the idea that Im going to be getting zapped all the time any info on the product would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Hi David,

I take it you're referring to the Freedom 7 model.

Unless I've seen a threatening shark, I normally don't use it when diving from a boat as it just gets in the way. It does take a bit of time getting used to diving with it as you have to keep track of the antenna because if it lands on you or you on it then you will get shocked. The shock however isn't bad. The best I can describe it is, it feels like an electrical pulse, it doesn’t hurt at all. It is however uncomfortable when trying to keep perfectly still during aspetto and a part of you twitches because it's in contact with antenna.

Hi David,

I take it you're referring to the Freedom 7 model.

Unless I've seen a threatening shark, I normally don't use it when diving from a boat as it just gets in the way. It does take a bit of time getting used to diving with it as you have to keep track of the antenna because if it lands on you or you on it then you will get shocked. The shock however isn't bad. The best I can describe it is, it feels like an electrical pulse, it doesn’t hurt at all. It is however uncomfortable when trying to keep perfectly still during aspetto and a part of you twitches because it's in contact with antenna.

Thanks land-shark that is exactly what I have been told, unfortunately the majority of my hunting is hole hunting where I get into some unorthodox positions and I can just see myself getting zapped all the time but on the other hand for me where I want to dive the landlord checks the rent more frequent than I prefer so with that being said Im leaning towards a purchase,all the data I have read and watched on the product seems to be the best option out there short of staying home and thats really not a option for me, thanks for the reply.

Reactions: foxfish
Soon after taking up spearing and before I had seen any sharks, thinking it would bring me some peace of mind, I bought a freedom 7 but only used it once. It was so annoying! Constantly getting zapped and upsetting my finning.

Soon after taking up spearing and before I had seen any sharks, thinking it would bring me some peace of mind, I bought a freedom 7 but only used it once. It was so annoying! Constantly getting zapped and upsetting my finning.
Thanks Nicko I have been preparing for the shock, I was told if I cut a thick wool sock to fit directly where the battery harness attaches to your leg it lessens the zap quite a bit I have a buddy of a buddy who swears bye it Ill let you know thanks for the response.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT