• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shark Shield

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

aesop

Deeper Blue Addict
Mar 2, 2006
What do you poeple think of shark shield? Is it comfy? Does interfere with hunting and is it practical and safe to buy one used?

I have one and have only used it while diving alone in murky waters. I guess it does provide confidence if you dive in shark rich waters.

You have to get used to wearing it, as you can feel it in your leg, very much like the electrical stimulations given with electrodes during muscle therapy. Now, if you get to touch the antena...ZAAAAP! you will be carefull not to do it again.

It has been said that if you get out and don't turn off the unit, you also get zapped, but the few times I used it I always remembered so couldn't say about that.

I would certanly put up with the disscomfort if I went spearing in Revillagigedo's, but couldn't think where else I would wear it.

a shark shield is good and bad. Kind of depends on would you rather die from drowning or shark bite?
Imagine swimming around with an 8 foot tether on your foot, you get a fish and it wraps the shooting line in the shark shield and pulls you down. The other option is you don’t have a shark shield and get bit by a Mr. toothy.

I plan on using one while diving is fiji.

I just recently got one and I must say its not really that uncomfortable. I plan on using it every time I go diving, but then again its because you never know what youre gonna get when diving in our waters. The zapping bit is true, its happened to a freind of mine a few times but its not that serious. If you feel uncomfortable in the water and you know there are large sharks in your area get one, its worth it just to feel saver in the water. :)

freediver7 said:
a shark shield is good and bad. Kind of depends on would you rather die from drowning or shark bite?
Imagine swimming around with an 8 foot tether on your foot, you get a fish and it wraps the shooting line in the shark shield and pulls you down. The other option is you don’t have a shark shield and get bit by a Mr. toothy.

on what evidence to you base that assumption? I use one and it mostly so confortable that it being a danger in that way has never crossed my mind. I wouldnt think the unit on the ankle would prevent any more risk than a ankle-worn knife and sheath, and the cable is tapered, so while it does have a slight webbed texture, I reckon any mono that wrapped around it would simply slide off.

anyway, they do take a little getting used to as ppl say but they are great peace of mind, especially if you dive alone a lot like I do

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT