• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sharkbanz, has anyone used these...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well, if someone used them, and it didn't work, they'd probably not be able to testify against it. Smart business strategy [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Jokes aside, I hope you manage to get a buddy. I'd be more worried about shallow water blackout in the first place.

Reactions: mariusshobo
Thanks bro, I know diving solo is less than ideal and not my first choice.

As such I really limit my diving/depth to approx 70% of my "current comfortable ability" when by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I have a very hard time to believe that a magnetic armband will deter sharks. I think it's just about statistics and common sense.
That said, I have absolutely no idea about spearfishing in places which have actual sharks. Makes me wonder what the general policy of a NZ spearo is to minimize the chances of unpleasant encounters.

I use a packhorse float to get my fish out of the water...as towing fish around seems like a bad idea...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439622569.091732.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, for your viewing pleasure:

OK - this is a sales video, but the footage looks impressive and the theory seems relevant to shark physiology.

Also like the fact the item is low profile and the reassurance factor when doing everything I can to make myself interesting to sharks.

Thoughts? :)

Rgds

Ian

Bahamascott's video of his test of the Sharkbanz is hilarious!!! Not only does the shark take the bait, but he comes back to eat the Sharkbanz, too! I wonder if he came back a third time, to gobble down the fishing rod? That's got to be one of the funniest videos I've ever seen.

I do have 2 Sharkbanz, one for my ankle and 1 for my wrist. But I certainly am not going to dive where I see a shark (unless it's a nurse shark)

Reactions: Bahamascott
Obviously it's interesting to see results that don't go according to plan as well as the manufacturers sales videos, but it doesn't mean the product isn't a valuable piece of kit IMO. The technology has been around for decades now and there can be no question that it is effective to a certain degree. The product will never come with a guarantee that it's impossible to get bitten by a shark if you're wearing one, but the law of averages says you are so much less likely to get bitten if you are wearing one than if you aren't. That's good enough for me, especially at this price which is a quarter of the price of the Shark Shield. Not to mention the design being so much less restrictive than the Shark Shield awhich has a cord dangling off one of your legs.

It’s really bothering me how unethical sharkbanz is acting regarding their “research.” So here’s my take.

This company seems to actually be successful at this point. They have Obama and Zuckerberg wearing their product. The company seems to be a complete fraud in my opinion as a scientist. This isn’t my field of science at all but I can see how they are presenting their alleged research and something smells fishy (pun intended).

If you go on their webpage they have this image with all these front pages of legitimate peer reviewed scientific journals which did studies related to magnetic fields and sharks in general. The studies have nothing to do with sharkbanz just the concept of magnetic fields and shark sensory systems. Also it doesn’t show you the conclusion or anything just the title of the study. However they are presenting these front pages of studies that have nothing to do with their product with the results conveniently obscured as a representation of their product.

Then they go on to show what they actually have the audacity to call a peer reviewed study. It is not published in any scientific journal and looks like something you could type up in Microsoft word. Yet they label it as a peer reviewed study…but no journal published it? That makes no sense. That is deception. Here’s the article. There aren’t even any authors listed. I’m a scientist albiet in an unrelated field and I’ll tell you that this "research paper” with no journal and NO AUTHORS even named is straight up fraudulent in terms of being portrayed as a journal published peer reviewed scientific study (or they are confusing the reader into thinking this garbage study is peer reviewed while legally they can just say they were referring to the magnetism studies having nothing to do with their product). They do say in the first paragraph that the study was conducted by sharkbanz themselves (so not unbiased scientists). That says it all right there.

They seems to legal cover themselves from fraud by having their references to “peer reviewed research” refer to the studies regarding sharks and magnetic fields that have nothing to do with shark banz and where they don’t show you the results. So there has been peer reviewed journal science done on the technology sharkbanz employs, but not the product itself. Plus they don’t even give the results of the magnetism studies that don’t involve their product. You could essentially use the magnetic field of an MRI machine that weight hundreds of pounds and is so powerful it can rip jewelry off a person and try and represent these small wrist sized magnets that are no where near as powerful as being related. You can’t do that. You have to test the actual product you’re representing.

Here is an actual scientific study conducted and published in an actual scientific peer reviewed journal and the scientists actually publish their names as authors on the paper. The study concludes sharkbanz is garbage and ineffective. The also tested shark shield and a few other products and shark shield was the only one that showed efficacy. Shark shield operates using a completely different tech (electricity instead of magnetism). This post isn’t pro shark shield but there also so other Legitimate studies besides this one published in scientific peer reviewed journals with positive results re sharkshield.

I spearfish in an area where white shark encounters are very common and we have an average of about one attack per year (usually surfers, kayakers, or open water swimmers, but some spearos have been attacked also). Nobody uses these things. Everyone that uses something uses sharkshield. When you know 100% you’re swimming with great whites that extra $400 of cost doesn’t even cross your mind when deciding what to protect yourself with.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT