• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sharks and Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Apneista

Jan 12, 2006
I'm a spearfisher, used to Mediterranean.

I'll be hanging around for some time, spearfishing in waters with sharks (South Pacific).

Because I'm not used to fishing with sharks around me, the idea sorts of scares me..

Someone has some tips on what precautions should I take, what I should and what I should not do?

Treat them with respect, not fear.

they want your fish? let them have it and leave.

they show up? leave.

they cruise in for a look? enjoy the sight.

Sharks, for the most part are very overrated.

Amphibious said:
They Smell Fear

they want your fish? let them have it and leave.
But dont be scared to put up a bit of a fight, jam them in the nose with your spear gun, its your fish and you worked hard for it

they show up? leave.
If they show up in numbers get out or if they are waaaay bigger that you or have white pointy noses

Yep make the Most of it they way the Indos are going there wont be any left soon

And they just get plain annoying after a while

Its good to have a few mates in the water when sharks are around, one can spear while the others run defence.

If they do cause you a bit of Greif just move to another spot, or buy a Shark Shield for a bit of piece of mind

Crusty

crusty,
i have been diving for over 14 years, this is the first time i hear that sharks smell fear, are you sure about this? i know dogs can smell fear :) :),
why would you fight a shark over a fish? its a fish :) I mean shy of the black marlin world record i would never put a fight with a shark :) i defintely second your opinion about the shield.
In the red sea i get into contact with sharks a lot (mainly reef sharks, with the occasional oceanic white tip, mako or tiger) i fear the big ones and treat all sharks with respect, never intimidate a shark or raise their curiosity levels, i never came across one spearfishing though (which i am sure is a totally different thing), my guess is that i would probably leave the water, if it/they keep lingering around.

Hiya

why would you fight a shark over a fish? its a fish I mean shy of the black marlin world record i would never put a fight with a shark

Problem arises when you give you fish to a shark and there are other sharks in the area too. Can possibly turn into a feeding frenzy!! Not good for a spearo in the water!!

Regards
miles

Marwan said:
crusty,
i have been diving for over 14 years, this is the first time i hear that sharks smell fear, are you sure about this? i know dogs can smell fear :) :),
why would you fight a shark over a fish? its a fish :) I mean shy of the black marlin world record i would never put a fight with a shark :) i defintely second your opinion about the shield.
In the red sea i get into contact with sharks a lot (mainly reef sharks, with the occasional oceanic white tip, mako or tiger) i fear the big ones and treat all sharks with respect, never intimidate a shark or raise their curiosity levels, i never came across one spearfishing though (which i am sure is a totally different thing), my guess is that i would probably leave the water, if it/they keep lingering around.

They may not smell it but they definently can sense it.
A shark can pick up when you a scared of it, they will pick up you heart going of the rev limiter and slamming around your chest and pick up the increased electrical field you emit as all your senses go off at once.
If you dont pannic chances are they wont.

Chances are they have never had annything be aggressive to them so be aggressive, if you yell at them, poke them in the nose with a spear tip, or even kick them, they spinn out and useally dissapear or it may give you enough time to get out of the water.

When its only a few reefies its fairly easy to keep them away, but i would certainly get out if a big Mako of Great White turned up.

Sharks are not as bad as they are made out to be, useually if you can see them they are not a threat, its the ones you never see the ones come flying up out of the deep blue directly below you and torpedo you out of the water then swallow you whole that you have to worry about.

Crusty

Well... given that few sharks have ever bothered to do human heart frequency studies, I wonder how they know what "rev limiting" heart beat means?

Most fish communicate their intent with body language. Hence the need for divers to stay relaxed when spearfishing. If you act aggresively ie body straight and pointed at the target, eye contact constant, a prey fish will assume an attack is imminent. When a shark checks you out, and your body language is reactive, ie body contracts and turns away, it knows its boss.

Try it with a small shark. If you act timid, it will come right up! Curl away when they approach, but keep looking back at them. Thats what it took for me to get a shot of a Reef shark from a meter away. Any other body posture and they didnt want to come within 10m of me.

DO NOT give a shark your fish if at all possible. If that keeps happening the sharks in that area will soon see spearo's as someone bringing them food...they could quickley get more and more bold. Also as miles stated a feeding frenzy could escelate and you dont want to be around when that happens.

other than that act aggressive.

If you're far from the boat and its a big shark=powerhead or a shaft to the gills on his 1st close pass.

Your life is worth more than a sharks any day of the week.

While I do respect and have a healthy fear of them (ie I hate seeing them killed, hurt ect.) I come first and one dead shark is worth me coming back home safe.

Amphibious said:

they want your fish? let them have it and leave.they show up? leave.

Do not spearfish if you actually can see the sharks

I will respectfully disagree with Amphibious, if you actually do that, they will start to associate spearos with food. If you give any animal in this planet a negative response to a particular behavior, then it will count as a negative experience to him, and it will be harder to a shark to come nearby in the future. get yourself all the back up you can get, as an experienced diving partner, a shark shield and if its possible a powerhead in sharky waters.

*if its possible dive along with Roberto Reyes just in case rofl rofl rofl

ever tried a tug of war with something biger, faster, and meaner then you? 100% you'll loose.

maybe i should have been more specific, don;t drop your catch and run, but don;t put yourself in harms way to save your kill either. shark wants it bad enough he's going to take it one way or another.

Hi apniesta,

I'd agree with Amphibious, just don't jump to the conclusion that "overrated" means "harmless". Sharks vary wildly in how they interact with divers. A wise strategy is to find some experianced local spearos and follow their advice, along with your own common sense. I could give a lot of detailed advice, but it would apply to my area, wouldn't have much of a clue about the South Pacific. Different species react differently and the same species can act amazingly different in different areas, which may be only a few miles apart. One thing that hasn't been mentioned that is probably universal, in areas where sharks are frequent visitors, get your fish out of the water immediately.

Connor

It is basic safety to always have a call of sheer common sense when you enter taxcollector's kingdom. Anyway you have to get your sword handy, just in case, in that misfortunate case, i dont think the meanest biggest shark could outpower a 30\06 shot in the middle of the eyes :head thought

Hi Apinesta
Just incase all this talking of sharks gives you the impression you'll be fighting of great whites as soon as you hit the water let me first say it ain't that bad here (i can only speak for Samoa but I don't think the other islands are too different). Of the last 20 times I've been out I've probably come across sharks on only a couple of ocassions & both times they were more intrested in going about their business. Sure there's always the chance of bumping into something big and aggressive but take Connor's advice about finding an experienced local to take you out & I'm sure you'll be OK. Enjoy your trip.
Sean

Mr Pointer Says

"" Thats one to Fat, thats one to Thin Arrr this one looks Just RIGHT'

Attachments

• WHITE POINTER.jpg
    WHITE POINTER.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 332
Reactions: DeepThought
crusty said:
Mr Pointer Says

"" Thats one to Fat, thats one to Thin Arrr this one looks Just RIGHT'

no wayyy
fins pointing down too.. is that real?

I have never seen a shark while diving(freediving and spearfishing) yet. But I know I will eventually. And it will most likely be either a large white shark or a mako. As that is what we have here in Southern California. All I know is that I will be scared and I will feel very free to defend myself in any manner possible. At its first pass within 20-30ft of me he is getting shot no matter what. That is if I see it coming. I put my life and safety ahead of the sharks life. I suggest anyone else do the same.

Like you poly, I have never seen a shark that I thought would do me any damage. Based purely on common sense and some reading, I would still recommend against shooting a shark unless it was point blank and angry and you have something that might kill them.

If you've ever dealt with dogs, bulls, or other animals that might be capable of killing you, it is obvious that poking them hard with a pointy stick is a potentially life threatening mistake.

Polystigma said:
I have never seen a shark while diving(freediving and spearfishing) yet. But I know I will eventually. And it will most likely be either a large white shark or a mako. As that is what we have here in Southern California. All I know is that I will be scared and I will feel very free to defend myself in any manner possible. At its first pass within 20-30ft of me he is getting shot no matter what. That is if I see it coming. I put my life and safety ahead of the sharks life. I suggest anyone else do the same.

If you are that afraid of seeing sharks while diving, don't get in the water. I would only recommend shooting a shark only if it is ABSOLUTELY necessary, any other action/attitude is just absurd and ignorant. Any seasoned veteran would know that most sharks DON'T show aggression towards humans, often they are just curious to what you are, or what you are doing. I've encountered many sharks, and not once have I felt that my safety being threatened, even with dead fish on my stringer. Please do not propagate the fictional belief that it is every sharks intent on eating you.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT