• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sharks in tha Bahamas

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A

Arshia

I bought a Cressi Apache 75" and in a few momths am going to boat over to the Bahamas with a buddy. I was thinking of trying out spearfishing to catch something like a dorado or cobia. Anyway, I hear Bahamas is notorious for shark attacks - how dangerous will it be going out spearing? Can I spear a bull shark that tries to attack me?

And usually if I am not mistaking, you should poke the shark and only shoot as a last resort as it will make it even madder.

I think they will just go after your fish anyways.

The odds of getting stopped in the Bahamas are quite low, but they tend to throw the book at Americans violating fishery laws and speargun use is a big no no. If that gun is anywhere near in the open and you get stopped with fresh speared fish, losing the boat and spending a night or three in the Nassau jail is a very real possibility. Bahamian jails are not places you ever want to visit. I do Bahama diving trips every year and would not even consider allowing a gun on my boat. Get a pole spear or learn to use a sling; they are legal.

Sharks are a very small issue if you are not spearfishing or as long as you don't do anything stupid. Get speared fish out of the water immediately, look behind you, do 360s on the way up with a speared fish and look down as well. The tax men will come up right to your fin tips if they think you don't see them. A good system is two guys diving and one boat driver who follows the divers.

Do NOT spear a shark. If you do get hassled(unlikely)keep the spear tip pointed at the shark. He will not come past it.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT