• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sharkshield- shark repellant!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Freediver81

The Arabian Stallion
Feb 5, 2004
Hi guys and gals!

I stumbled onto a company that produces a very effectice shark repellandt called sharkshield!!!

you can see videos of sharks being repelled by the shark shield on their website!!!

they have several versions- divers, swimmers, snorkelers and surfers!

looks promising!!

www.sharkshield.com

Attachments

• sharkshield.jpg
    sharkshield.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 220
After seeing the video of the great white, it seems that the area of effectiveness of the electric field is not that large. I wonder if this would still be effective in a suprise attack situation from below that the whites are known for. For example, if you were freediving or spearfishing on the surface and a great white comes up from below at an accelerated attack speed, you may be in the jaws of the shark by the time it realizes that it doesn't like the 'feeling' of the electic field.

Hi feign!

from what I understood from the video, the sharkshield was off and it was turned on only when the shark approached!
In this way I believe the company wanted to show how the shark was dettered when it was turned on!
If the device was turned on the whole time the shark may not have approached and the average viewer might have concluded that the shark didn't approach because he didn't feel like it and not because of the device!

In the way it was done in the video we can clearly understand that the device dettered the shark!!! ;)

Just my opinion!

here's a picture of me diving with 150 sharks in French Polynesia!

Attachments

• sharks.jpg
    sharks.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 197
That Mako shoots off at a fair distance, just goes to show that the GW is a tougher beast all round ;) and an all together beautiful creature (on a screen :) )

Hi guys

This exact thing has been the subject of huge and heated debate in Capetown recently, and I am not going to mention any of the names involved, ...but basically...a friend of mine was hit by a GW in Falsebay quite recently, had been circling him during his ascent.
He broke the surface, yelled for the boat, as was clobbered as he was reaching for a powerhead. He was un-injured, just very lucky that the boat got to him so fast.

He was wearing a shark-shield at the time, which seemingly had no effect on the GW.

I do not know enough about the product to offer an opinion, nor does anyone know enough about the 'mental workings' of the GW to offer a scientific argument as far as I am concerned.

My only question, is as follows. I was once told that a GW first detects us by means of it's accute detection of our energy field.
We know that they are very, very curious. If a spearo is hanging in the water, with a HUGE ENERGY FIELD being emitted by a shark shield, will a GW not pick this up, and out of pure curiosity, come on over to have a little look ?? Just a thought ?

Jeff

Reactions: Alison
Intresting.
I once looked around for these products quite "feeverishly".
I were planing a solo sailing trip across the atlantic and I inteded to "jump ship" and freedive whenever possible. And I was horribly scared of being eaten by an "atlantic blue shark".
Now afterwards I feel very silly - now that I understand how small threat sharks really pose to humans, specially in the middle of the atlantic.

http://www.arrandir.se

The shark pods in those days were big as scuba tanks.

Sebastian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT