• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shooting lines...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
So 7 lengths total(including line from muzzle to back of the shaft)?

Dang, that's hardcore. Isn't it a pain in the arse to get the shaft out of the kelp when you miss all those shots? :hmm

Originally posted by icarus pacific
Now you do if he means three complete wraps- from the muzzle back to the line release, or 6 lengths total.

Plastic coated stainless for the blue stuff, spectra for the reef stuff, 300 lb black mono in the kelp.

For the blue stuff, yes. It gives you the moment to get out of the way of the floater and the bouy as well as make sure your clear of anything.
And no it's not a pain as long as what you aim for is hit. :hmm all the more reason to go out and really think the shot through rather than lobbing it and seeing what happens.

Originally posted by Murat
So now i am using standart lines that come with omer guns. Its 1.5mm nylon. I don't know if its the same with you calls monofilament. I use cable crimps too. They holds nice. The line is thin so does not effect shaft trajectory much.

Shane thats nice link you just posted;)

I've seen omer's nylon line, thats very similar to the mono but I dont know how strong it is... Are you using the aluminum oval crimps?

Originally posted by Memo
I've seen omer's nylon line, thats very similar to the mono but I dont know how strong it is... Are you using the aluminum oval crimps?

Yes. Personally i preffer thiner ones. Like cressi has..

I like the omer line , and goind to buy a roll but crimps are not that good IMO, I'm curious if picasso's copper crimps will work on omer line.. (as the line is 1.5mm I dont konw if they work)

I'll seconds Sven's comment. 300# mono for the shooting line(double wrapped) to kevlar, spectra, dynema(sp?), nylon reel line w/ a appropriate sized snap swivel on the reel line.
Jay

Whats the app. thickness of a 300lbs mono? around 1.5mm or thicker?

1.56mm. I use Jinkai brand mono. It has a small diameter for the pound test, it is extremely soft and yet very abrasion resistant. It cost a little more but I think it's worth it.

Don't quote me on this but I think they're 1.57mm crimps. Un fortunately I tear the tag off the bag as soon as I get it. And since there's about 100 crimps per bag I have to resize them each time I buy them. 1.6mm will probaly work though.

I dont think I could find crimps with 2 decimal points in here :( so 1.6 will be my way to go...

They are very nice dogs :)

well apart from guarding me, if a thief enters the house one will probably beat him with her swinging tail!! and the other just lay on him to sleep :D
both are lazy bitc$s :D

hahaha... Like my cat....

As long as she is satiated, she does not attack other thief cats. She just sit on the chair and watch them to finish the meal.:head

Anyway..

I don't understand what is the difference between mono & nylon,
kevlar & dynema.:confused:

Mono=monofilament, as the name implies it is a single strand of well...monofilament. I think it's in the plastic family. The same stuff thats on your fishing reels but alot thicker. Used mainly as leader material for recreational/commercial fishing.
Nylon is well......nylon. A man made fiber. It is usually made into very small fibers and then woven into lines or ropes. Very strong/diameter, resist rotting from dampness and sun, resist most chemicals.(Alot of the Euro guns come w/ this rigged as shooting line or at least reel line)
Kevlar/dynema- a new breed of synthetic lines that have super high strength to weight ratios. Some of the smaller diameter ones are actually inside a nylon sleeve. Their disadvantages are they usually have zero strech, don't take shock loading, and break somewhat easier than other lines around sharp bends. In our use that shouldn't be a problem. hope this helps.
Jay

Reactions: Murat
Thanks a lot. Is it good to use 1.5mm nylon line in reel? Don't they stuck?

When i used kevlar i noticed they can be cut very easily by wishbone and somehow they absorb water and become more bulky, so they much effect the trajectory of the thin spear (6.5mm) than nylon lines.:hmm

1.5 should be fine to use. Just make sure it's wound fairly tight. I only use mono or cable for the shooting lines.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT