• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

shortening bands

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

groats

pelogic thinker
May 1, 2003
Hi all!
Ì want to get into spearing a bit more seriously and yet there are a lot of questions. As I always got immediate and good answers here in this forum, i `ll give it a go: How does one shorten bands? I mean, you cut them off at the desired lenght, obviously, but how do you get them back in the thread things (erm, don`t know the technical name of it; where you screw the wishbone on.)? Or how does one attach a dyneema wishbone? I`ve seen those on circ bands, like a bit of string tied around the end of the rubber tightly, but i will have to tie that knot quite really heftily TIGHT to make it withstand all the streching when loading the gun...

Thanks a bunch for all the help i got and surely will get in the future! Joe:)

If you are using some branded bands on a euro gun with treads at both end, IMO just go and buy a shorter set of bands. If you are making your bands from bulk rubber than shoertening is easy... cut at desired lenght, insert the wishbone, tie it properly.

Reactions: donmoore
Ah, alright, i`ll try it...

That`s more work than i thought, but surely worth it. Thanks for that helpful link!

Thx, joe

Reactions: donmoore
Joe,
It gets more complicated yet. Before you shorten your bands you need to consider the elongation, which is the amount of stretch the band can obtain and still return to the original unstretched length. There is no exact known number for this, it’s a little subjective. For instance all bands eventually stretch, but a band stretch to 250% of its length will have less retained stretch than one that is to 275%. In reality, most manufacturers use band lengths that are about the best compromise between power (shorter bands) and loss of longterm power from retaining stretch.

Your best alternative maybe to increase the number of bands or increase the diameter of the bands.

Here is a really internet sight on bands: http://rocknfish.com/Rubber_Test.html
Drew

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT