• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shrimp Risotto with Home made Stock

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Marwan

Gear Buying addict
Supporter
Sep 3, 2005
Hit the nail again with this one:)

Ingredients:

1 - 8 king size tiger prawns
2 - 1 cup arborio risotto rice
3 - 1/2 tomato
4 - 1 Onion (1/2 for the stock cut in 2, and 1/2 for the risotto chopped), and 1/2 carrot chopped in large pieces
5 - 2 cloves garlic (one for the stock and one for the risotto)
6 - Couple of bay Leaves
7- Dried oregano
8 - Salt pepper and chilli flakes to taste
9 - Extra virgin olive oil
10 - Fresh Grated pamesan and roughly chopped parsley to serve
11- One lime for the shrimps

The stock:
1- Cut the shrimps heads and peel the crust off their body and tail, remove the vein that runs along their back set aside
2 - In a pot, heat some olive oil and one whole clove of crushed garlic, skin on..
3 - Move the garlic around the pot to get the flavor, and when hot, toss in the shrimp heads/peeled crust, keep stirring and then add the tomato (cut in 2 quarters), the chopped carrot, and the onion (also cut in quarters), the bay leaves, the dried oregano, salt and pepper and stir together
4 - When the shrimp heads, peeled crust turn red, add some water (about 2-3 cups) and bring to a boil stirring gently...
5- Simmer the mixture on low heat for 20 minutes
6 - Drain through a seive and return the liquid to the original pot you used in cooking, taste and season with salt/pepper accordingly
OPTIONAL: eat the shrimp head meat if your into that :)
For the risotto and peeled shrimps:

1 - Heat some olive oil in the pan
2 - Add a cloved of peeled chopped garlic and stirr
3 - add some onion (about half an onion), chopped and stir with garlic until soft (NOT BROWN)
4 - Lower the heat and add the rice and stir together until its coated with all the flavours
5 - start adding ladels from the stock pot, one at a time until absorbed by the rice and then add again, continue until rice is cooked Al- dente (not too soft, but not crunchy either)
6 - add a little piece of butter and stir through..
7 - Add the parmensan and parsley (leave some for the final touch)and stir
8 - Take off the heat and rest for 2 minutes...

During the last 5 minutes of the risotto preparation, grill the shrimps (that have been peeled):
1 - season with salt, pepper, chilli and lime
2 - baste in olive oil and grill 2 minutes each side on a hot griddle (no need to oil the griddle just make sure its hot before addding the shrimp)

Assemble the plate:
Serve the risotto on the plate with the shrimps arranged on top, add some more fresh parsley and parmesan for the final look, final sprinkle of fresh pepper and little drizzle of olive oil..

Phew, im tired just writing it..cooking was easier :) scored MAJOR MAJOR points with the missus on that one..
Bon Apetito

Last edited:
Marwan I bet that tastes as good as it sounds, nice one mate defiantly going to try it,:p:p and you remembered the chili good lad.:)

I thought of you while i was adding that chilli yesterday, beleive it or not :):)

Yum:p It's almost dinner time & that sounds very good. I have to be careful adding chilli's/paprika/cayenne pepper/etc., my tolerance appears to be more than the rest of the family:D. I think lime goes really well with seafood, even better than lemon. Surprised none of the American members have commented - they love shrimp over there.

youe like my sister, her tolerance for spicy stuff is unbelievable, im certain her taste buds are messed up :). i think its still early for our mates in the west...with the time difference and all

back on topic, one day ill try the same with lobster..should be cool..:)

soon be time to get the crayfish traps out again might give it a go with them

Ah, risotto with shrimp. One of the great classics, especially with a big green salad and a chilled Riesling. Yum........my!

Reactions: Marwan
Sounds delicious! No wonder you scored big points on that one, Marwan. I just had a shrimp dish the other day. Can't get enough of the stuff!

Reactions: Marwan and podge
MMMM!
Now this looks great; and yes, I'm going to try this one with Lobster (got a couple in the deep freeze from last season)
Thanks, Marwan!
I'll let you know how it turns out!

This dish sounds wonderfull! I'm always cheating adding boullion cubes to rice dishes....I know tisk tisk. Sometimes though the girls just want to eat when dad wants to drink a little vino and spend some time in the kitchen. I'm going to add this one to my recipe book, how do you want to be listed?
DeepSeaSki:friday

thanks..some cool comments i got there..one i got from spaghetti though..i want to ask about..:
you think parmesan doesnt work well here? it was fine and tasted cool, but out of curiosity, do you think we should not use cheese at all in the recipe or some other kind like picorino for example?

Using Parmesan cheese on fish dishes is a no-no in Northern Italian cooking. Down in the sunburnt south, palates are less refined, the cooking more robust and it would be acceptable, though some might find it eccentric. We never stinted on the cheese in my family.

Certainly not if you're trying for a Venetian, Bolognese, or other Northern cuisine. Down in Calabria, Naples or Bari I think cheese would be o.k. Remember, Italy wasn't a single country until about 1860.

this is cool information though...i would like to understand more..is there a reason behind it? for example, is it believed to overpower the shrimp taste? gives you bad stomach? ( i faced none of these as we didmt put too much cheese, just a little) or is it just acase of thats how we do things..not an expert by any means, i always thought parmesan and risotto went hand in hand..

When he was young, my father has been a professional boxer (he was a regional champion in the welter weight category, and also fought a few international boxing matches). After all the punches he took and gave, he made himself a strong belief against the use of violence, especially on children, so that he never raised his hands on me and my sister.
Except one time.
When I was 6 years old, dad once gave me a good slap on my tiny face because I was dropping grated parmesan on a dish of pasta con le sardelle (salty sardines). "No cheese on fish!", he said, and hit me so hard that I couldn't forget. That was the first, last and only time my dad hit me (so far). :)
Indeed, risotto and Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano or Pecorino are great together, but not in the case it's together with seafood (this is at least the dominant doctrine).
Except for a few specific recipes, we don't use cheese with seafood because it's opinion they don't mix well. The cheese is said to cover the fishy taste, but please take this as second hand information: I never tried cheese and fish myself because dad is still in shape with his heavy hand...:crutch

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT