• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Simple Dumb ass Nubie Question about Flopper Tip

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

thesaltyassassin

Sep 24, 2017
Hey folks. Just got a Rob Allen 110cm Tuna gun and have been out in front of where I am living and working, trying to shoot some fish in the inner reef. I was having some pretty good luck, though definitely still not completely figuring out my aim. I have mostly just pulling a single band, but tried a few times with both bands pulled. I took a shot angling up at a parrot fish about 6 inches above a coral with both bands pulled. To my surprise I shot way low, blowing up the small chunk of coral. Ever since, I have not had any luck with my shots, missing about 8 times in a row. I detached the line from the gun, but not from the shaft due to not wanting to fuss with a new crimp, to check the straightness of the spear buy setting it on two hardback books on each end, and rolling the shaft. Everything looked fairly good and straight to me.

I have been wondering if perhaps one of the reasons other than not having aiming dialed in, and things like current/ wave action, is if my accuracy has been off because I didn't know that I was for sure supposed to keep the flopper locked in the closed position when shooting. I had a fish get off, because the flopper never went perpendicular to the shaft after I speared it, so I've just been letting the flopper dangle ever since. Maybe my flopper isn't quite tuned right. I looked at some videos on it, and I think it is a bit stiff as it requires a really good karate chop to flop down.

My question is this: Does everyone always shoot with the flopper in the locked position? Does shooting a railgun with the flopper down at a 45-90 degree angle greatly affect accuracy (I would think so)?

Thanks in advance,
Boat

Hey folks. Just got a Rob Allen 110cm Tuna gun and have been out in front of where I am living and working, trying to shoot some fish in the inner reef. I was having some pretty good luck, though definitely still not completely figuring out my aim. I have mostly just pulling a single band, but tried a few times with both bands pulled. I took a shot angling up at a parrot fish about 6 inches above a coral with both bands pulled. To my surprise I shot way low, blowing up the small chunk of coral. Ever since, I have not had any luck with my shots, missing about 8 times in a row. I detached the line from the gun, but not from the shaft due to not wanting to fuss with a new crimp, to check the straightness of the spear buy setting it on two hardback books on each end, and rolling the shaft. Everything looked fairly good and straight to me.

I have been wondering if perhaps one of the reasons other than not having aiming dialed in, and things like current/ wave action, is if my accuracy has been off because I didn't know that I was for sure supposed to keep the flopper locked in the closed position when shooting. I had a fish get off, because the flopper never went perpendicular to the shaft after I speared it, so I've just been letting the flopper dangle ever since. Maybe my flopper isn't quite tuned right. I looked at some videos on it, and I think it is a bit stiff as it requires a really good karate chop to flop down.

My question is this: Does everyone always shoot with the flopper in the locked position? Does shooting a railgun with the flopper down at a 45-90 degree angle greatly affect accuracy (I would think so)?

Thanks in advance,
Boat
My brother in law uses a RA 120 tuna I'll have a better look at his setup next time I see him as he shoots straight as a die with it , from memory , cos I see his gun swimming next to me a lot the flopper tends to hang down 180 degrees pointing directly down and is loose as it is always hanging down, don't know if that helps much but it shouldn't be as rigid as you described

My brother in law uses a RA 120 tuna I'll have a better look at his setup next time I see him as he shoots straight as a die with it , from memory , cos I see his gun swimming next to me a lot the flopper tends to hang down 180 degrees pointing directly down and is loose as it is always hanging down, don't know if that helps much but it shouldn't be as rigid as you described
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't very clear in my first post. I was mainly wondering if people keep the flapper locked in the closed (hugged up against the spear) position when they shoot. I was watching a couple of spearo videos last night and it looked like most people just had their floppers dangling (not locked in the closed or open position), then presumably when it shoots the water pushes it back toward the shaft, but once through the fish, it locks in the perpendicular position. I am curious if most people don't worry about the flopper position prior to shooting?

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't very clear in my first post. I was mainly wondering if people keep the flapper locked in the closed (hugged up against the spear) position when they shoot. I was watching a couple of spearo videos last night and it looked like most people just had their floppers dangling (not locked in the closed or open position), then presumably when it shoots the water pushes it back toward the shaft, but once through the fish, it locks in the perpendicular position. I am curious if most people don't worry about the flopper position prior to shooting?
I've never worried about the position of the flopper , however having said that the new Pathos laser open pro 120 I use now the flopper locks away under an extension at the end of the gun and works really well

I don't think letting the flopper dangle is a problem, but I wonder if your shaft really is straight. I don't think you can tell with books under each end. The way I check mine is to roll it across my granite kitchen counter. Of course you have to have the flopper and any fins hanging off each end of the counter. If you can see the slightest bit of daylight under the shaft as it rolls, that can really screw with your accuracy. A couple of years ago I was going nuts missing easy shots and it never occured to me to check the shaft since it had never hit a fish or a rock. When I finally checked I found that it had a tiny bend in it. It must have come from the factory that way.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT