• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Single wrap vs “wrap and a half”

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DiveHacker

Jun 17, 2020
Is a single wrap always distinguished as wrapping around the front of the gun only once? I saw a video where a guy said he likes “wrap and a half” and he does a single wrap then goes back to the front and then connects to the reel. I hope that made sense.

I was wondering if this “wrap and a half is actually what many refer to as a single wrap, as it seems a good mix between the two to me. Or is the wrap and a half an entire entity of its own?

If the shooting line is attached to the rear of the spear then with a single wrap you will have a wrap and a half of line deployed with the shaft at maximum distance. That will be approximately 3 spear lengths. With guns that use line slides the length will just be that of a single wrap as the line slide travels to the rear of the shaft which will be about 2 spear lengths.

You may be thinking of this http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=201551

Last edited:
Reactions: DiveHacker
Here's what I mean by a wrap and a half. The shooting line is attached to the rear shark fin on the shaft. It goes up and wraps around the muzzle, then back around the line release. If it was the standard two wraps, it would go up around the muzzle again, then back to the loop in the end and attached to the bungee going around the line release for breakaway. But for 1.5 wraps, rather than go around the muzzle the second time, it just goes around this line anchor screwed to the center bottom of the gun and then back to the loop in the end. The rationale is that two wraps is more than is needed. The gun can't shoot that far with power and accuracy. One wrap is as far as I like to shoot, but then there is always that fish just out of one-wrap range.

Attachments

• uluhalfwrap copy.jpeg
    uluhalfwrap copy.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Reactions: DiveHacker
Thanks guys. Yeah I think I’m going to wrap like this, 1 wrap seems awfully short. The 1.5 wrap maybe I didn’t explain it good initially, but it extends over shaft for the first “leg”, then back to line release, then back to the front around the hook (not sure the name), then to the reel. Most single wraps I see just go straight to the bungee clip, that wrap seems short to me, but the two full wraps seems too long. Forgive me if my description isn’t clear.

Here's what I mean by a wrap and a half. The shooting line is attached to the rear shark fin on the shaft. It goes up and wraps around the muzzle, then back around the line release. If it was the standard two wraps, it would go up around the muzzle again, then back to the loop in the end and attached to the bungee going around the line release for breakaway. But for 1.5 wraps, rather than go around the muzzle the second time, it just goes around this line anchor screwed to the center bottom of the gun and then back to the loop in the end. The rationale is that two wraps is more than is needed. The gun can't shoot that far with power and accuracy. One wrap is as far as I like to shoot, but then there is always that fish just out of one-wrap range.
I understand it like you except the line actually goes to the hook on the front of the gun for the start of the second wrap, then to reel, NOT back to line release (which would be a double wrap).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT