• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sinking JBL?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Polystigma

Nov 4, 2005
I have my JBL Sawed off woody Magnum rigged(break-away) just the way I like. But the only problem is that the gun sinks when I let go of it. I might let go to get some kelp wrapped around my fins. And by the time I finish the gun is on the bottom of the ocean. The question is what can I do to make the gun float? Add some wings? If so where can I get the wings or could I build some myself? Thanks in Advance.

If you want the gun to float with the shaft in, I bet you could do what I did with one of my Wongs. It started as a regular hybrid years ago, but when he started making magnum hybrids, I sent it back for him to add some lead and wood to the butt. He forgot that I was going to be attaching a reel and didn't account for the extra weight, so it ended up barely floating in a vertical position with the shaft out.

I went down to West Marine and bought a strip of teak- I think its about 1" square. I cut some pieces to a length that I thought would do it, attached them to the gun with rubber bands, and threw it off the dock to see if it would float horizontally. When I confirmed that I had the right amount of teak, I cut a bevel on the ends to make them look nicer, screwed them to the gun, and spray pointed them black to match the gun. I have almost no wood working skills or tools, but even I was able to handle this, and I bet those strips of teak from West Marine would work for you too.

Attachments

• blackrails.JPG
    blackrails.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 209
  • blackrails2.JPG
    blackrails2.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 188
  • blackwidow.JPG
    blackwidow.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 215
acevedo joseph said:
save your pesos martin and buy a real gun...

I am going to buy a real gun. This is my begginer gun untill I learn how to dive and spear better. As soon as I out grow this POS im probably gonna go and buy a nice Riffe euro gun or Rabitech stealth.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT