• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sinking JBL?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Polystigma

Nov 4, 2005
I have my JBL Sawed off woody Magnum rigged(break-away) just the way I like. But the only problem is that the gun sinks when I let go of it. I might let go to get some kelp wrapped around my fins. And by the time I finish the gun is on the bottom of the ocean. The question is what can I do to make the gun float? Add some wings? If so where can I get the wings or could I build some myself? Thanks in Advance.

If you want the gun to float with the shaft in, I bet you could do what I did with one of my Wongs. It started as a regular hybrid years ago, but when he started making magnum hybrids, I sent it back for him to add some lead and wood to the butt. He forgot that I was going to be attaching a reel and didn't account for the extra weight, so it ended up barely floating in a vertical position with the shaft out.

I went down to West Marine and bought a strip of teak- I think its about 1" square. I cut some pieces to a length that I thought would do it, attached them to the gun with rubber bands, and threw it off the dock to see if it would float horizontally. When I confirmed that I had the right amount of teak, I cut a bevel on the ends to make them look nicer, screwed them to the gun, and spray pointed them black to match the gun. I have almost no wood working skills or tools, but even I was able to handle this, and I bet those strips of teak from West Marine would work for you too.

Attachments

• blackrails.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 212
  • blackrails2.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 190
  • blackwidow.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 217
Thanks for the heads up Bill. I will go check out west marine some time this week.

acevedo joseph said:
save your pesos martin and buy a real gun...

I am going to buy a real gun. This is my begginer gun untill I learn how to dive and spear better. As soon as I out grow this POS im probably gonna go and buy a nice Riffe euro gun or Rabitech stealth.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…