• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sitting on the bottom.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

inkjet

Jan 26, 2003
Hi,

I've seen pictures on this and other sites of people relaxing on the bottom of the ocean or a pool to practice their statics.
When I try this, I float to the surface. How can people sit at the bottom of a pool without floating up?

Yeah, just exhale all or most of the air from your lungs and you'll sink like a stone. And like matrixed said, you can also hold on to something that's sinking or wear weights.

SanderP said:
Yeah, just exhale all or most of the air from your lungs and you'll sink like a stone. And like matrixed said, you can also hold on to something that's sinking or wear weights.

How can your practice normal statics (not negatives) with half empty lungs? It is a different ballgame I guess. On the pictures people don't have weights.

Could it be that if the pool is quite deep you don't float anymore?

inkjet said:
Could it be that if the pool is quite deep you don't float anymore?
If you go deep enough you will eventually sink. As you go deeper the increasing pressure compresses the air in your lungs. Eventually the volume is too small and doesn't provide enough bouyancy to make you float and you start sinking.

When freediving you start to sink after a few kicks and you enter the 'sink phase', thats the best part.:)

matrixed82 said:
If you go deep enough you will eventually sink. As you go deeper the increasing pressure compresses the air in your lungs. Eventually the volume is too small and doesn't provide enough bouyancy to make you float and you start sinking.

Okay so the only way (in a pool!) to do full lung statics would be to get weights or hold on to a ladder or something. For empty lung statics the pool works fine. But that is different business alltogether. Not for beginners like me.

I know that you asked a different question... but you don't have to sit at the bottom to practice statics in a pool. Just to make things clear if other beginners are reading this and getting confused. Where I train, we usually just rest head down at the surface near the edge of the pool (it feels nice to be able to hold on to the edge towards the end of the static, when you are getting ready to surface). Static at the surface probably doesn't look as pretty or cool as the pictures you are refering to, but it does the job :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT