• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Skin for Dynamics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Trux: I`ve spent so many hours looking for RS1 full sleeve, and You can`t get it anywhere in europe in size 7+(especially in UK)
I found this one quite interesting:
Orca Mens Equip Wetsuit - 135.00 - SBR Sports
It`s a new model for 2009, I`m thinking what are the differences between old RS1 FS 2008 and this one.
Anyway Trux if You find some interesting links, share it with us:t

Well, I contacted some of the UK stores, asking if they expect having other sizes again, but did not get any answer yet. However, it looks like they clear the RS1 from the stocks everywhere, so am little bit afraid they ended their production and replace them with the Alpha wetsuit. Frankly told, I am not sure if I'd like the Alpha as much as the RS1 - besides being 3-4 times more expensive, I do not really like the idea of the 3mm thick chest and arm pads - I am afraid it may reduce the flexibility/stretchability, and be too warm for the pool.

Matt, you can try this US store: Men's Orca RS1 FULLSKN
They have RS1 size 7 for $186 (USD). But being it a US store, you risk paying VAT and customs on arrival.

EDIT: ah, I see you need the size 8 - it is out of stock there too

Last edited:
Well, they have the RS1 FULLSKN size 8 directly in the Orca's own online store (but only in the US part) - for $229: Orca - Leaders in Triathlon, Running and Wetsuit Technology
You have to switch the location to US & Canada in the dropdown box at the top. By default it will probably load in the European store, which has only the sizes 5, 6, and 7. The UK, NZ, and AU stores strangely do not have the RS1 FULLSKN at all

I contacted Orca, asking if they are taking off RS1 FS from production, but still waiting for answer.
I`ve done some math, and if I buy this suit in US it costs, 230$+40-50$ postage, +1/3 customs(in PL they are checking most of packages coming from US), all together ~400$ :head
check this 2009 equip suit(link posted above), it`s from 1mm yamamoto neopren in some parts, and it cost 135Ł, but i can`t find full details anywhere, like: chest, pads, etc. neoprene thickness.

EDIT:
There You can find more details, what do You think??
http://www.onetri.com/orca-mens-equip-fullsleeve-wetsuit-2009-p-3737.html

Last edited:
Well, I have no experience with it, but basically it looks pretty close to the other Orca's wetsuits, just that it is made of a 3mm neoprene (except of the sleeves). As I already wrote, the increased buoyancy is not bad - the need for more lead will even help, especially in DNF. Not sure about the difference of the 3mm core and legs. Personally, I'd prefer avoiding it both for the stretchability, and because I do not need more thermic insulation. However, the water temperature in pools here is rather high (around 27C and sometimes above it), so you likely won't suffer of overheating if you train/compete in cooler pools. The advantage of the 3mm wetsuit is that you can use it outdoors too, and that it will be more durable, unlike the delicate 1mm wetsuits.

trux: The Alpha you linked is the normal swimming version. I think Eric, Will or Dave may know if the RS1 is the same as the 1mm Alpha or not.

As for the Equip, the neck seal is the real worry for all these suits. The last thing you want is for the back of the neck to turn into a bucket, hence why the neck seal on the Apex2 & Alphas are so good for freediving. I'll take a look at one in person when I get a chance and report back.

trux: The Alpha you linked is the normal swimming version. I think Eric, Will or Dave may know if the RS1 is the same as the 1mm Alpha or not.
chrismar, hm, are you telling there are several different Orca Alpha wetsuits? One for swimming, and another specially for freediving? Unless it was a custom wetsuit (I believe I've read they did some for Dave), I'd be really surprised if they made a freediving wetsuit. But I admit it would be a pleasant surprise.

I have an Alpha and an Alpha RS1, i.e. a 1mm version of the Alpha (no thicker panels). I think that was the prototype they based the existing RS1 on.

BTW, on Orca's website, there is a video with a useful tip for putting on a wetsuit easier (without lube) - using a thin PE shopping bag. I just tried it (and unlike in the video also for the hands), and it indeed facilitates getting through the tight seal pretty quick and dry. Not bad at all

Last edited by a moderator:
I contacted Orca and asked them about the RS1 vs. Alpha wetsuits, and unfortunately they indeed discontinued RS1 in 2009 So if you still find a fitting RS1 in current sales, you better grab it fast. They told me Will Trubridge is their main contact for reselling RS1 at freediving events, and that I should contact him to see if he still stocks some suits.

They also wrote me they realize the Alpha is much more expensive, and they told they are working on developing freediving specific wetsuits. I hope it won't be too long to get them to the market, and especially that they won't be more expensive than the RS1. Besides the NZ team, they now sponsor also Russians, so it gives some hope that freediving will remain in their focus.

Last edited:
Just got my sz7 RS1 1mm full suit for AU$295!!!! from a retail store in Brisbane as a conversion thats about US$170 including TAX. i'm one happy man now just need to get into the pool with it. first training session next week.

DD

Have any of you tried other brands than Orca? There are alot of tri-suits on the market. I just tried the orca sonar in a store and it felt ok. My main concern now is that many orca models have panels with extra buoyancy in the arms. That`s bad! And the Rs1 is hard to get these days. Maybe the solution is to buy one model with no sleves? What do you think about sleveless?

There is not such a big choice when you want a really thin wetsuit (and that's what I wanted). You will find some of the alternatives in diverse threads here on DB, for example here: http://forums.deeperblue.com/general-freediving/80140-dnf-technique.html#post734570 or in the comparison mentioned earlier in this thread: Freediving experience: Good suit for the pool competitions

Well, there may be others, and if you can stand thicker wetsuit, the choice is much wider, of course. However, the RS1 is really excellent and it is a great pity it was discontinued. I hope Orca comes with the replacement soon.

I was just superhappy when I found a RS1 in size 7 for 175USD on trivillage.com I actually bought the suit, but then I got an e-mail from trivillage saying that they had just sold my suit. That`s just bull. I see now (a couple of days later) that they still have size 7 available. It`s a pitty that stores can`t fix this:rcard When you put your payment info on their page and also get confirmation on your e-mail you should believe you actually get your suit.

I just bought one of the last size 7 suits (RS1) and it just arrived !

I have just found this website.
Orca RS1 Aero Race Suit Mens Product

there is RS1 full sleeve in ALL SIZES!!!!!
but description is very strange:naughty

and also price is astonishing :head

EDIT:

Very good news for EUROPEAN CITIZENS!!!!!

I`ve found this shop in ireland:
Orca RS1 Full Triathlon Wetsuit 2008 - The Running Superstore

They have size 7,8 Trux, maybe You will buy one.
I`ve bought one straight away!! only 15 euros for international shipping. no customs!!
I`m so happy and excited:friday:friday:friday
Hopefully, I won`t get an email saying that they are out of stock and just didn`t upload sizes on the website:head

Last edited:
:fridaySeems like I got one too. It cost more than the first I ordered but the shipping was 15GBP less. Does anyone have a clue how many days I will have to wait?

Mine arrived in about 5-6 days, but I ordered from a different place.

My friend just bought an Orca trisuit a few weeks ago for 12 dollars at a thrift store. I'm so jealous...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…