• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Skin for Dynamics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I was just superhappy when I found a RS1 in size 7 for 175USD on trivillage.com I actually bought the suit, but then I got an e-mail from trivillage saying that they had just sold my suit. That`s just bull. I see now (a couple of days later) that they still have size 7 available. It`s a pitty that stores can`t fix this:rcard When you put your payment info on their page and also get confirmation on your e-mail you should believe you actually get your suit.

Hmm. Just ordered one from Trivillage today. See what happens on Monday - whether I'll get the same response from them as you did!

:naughty

I got the last size 8 at Amazon. Looks like a size 6 and MW left.

Last edited:
I`ve received my RS1 from this irish store. Super fast shipping (3 days from ireland to poland), highly recommend this store. They still have size 7,8.rofl:)

Last edited:
I`ve received my RS1 from this irish store. Super fast shipping (3 days from ireland to poland), highly recommend this store. They still have size 7,8.rofl:)

Hi Mattbigblue,

I bought the last RS1 suit in size 8 today...:) I hope, it will arrive as fast, as your was.
BTW, thanks for the link!

Regards,
Balázs

My Size 8 is a big to snug for me. i just tried it on....never been worn or wet.
If someone wants to buy it please PM

My Size 8 is a big to snug for me. i just tried it on....never been worn or wet.
If someone wants to buy it please PM
If it feels just tight, but you can close it, don't worry too much - after 2-3 sessions it will fit just fine. When I received mine, seing its size, I thought I can never get in (and my wife laughed out laudly, almost rolling on the floor). It was quite a fight to get into it the first time, and the first 3-4 sessions I needed someone to help me closing it. However, it is just fine now. And the difference in glide was enormous since the beginning.

I've just gone back to doing some DNF training for the first time in months, using the RS1. Feels better than the old suit: easier to keep arms/legs streamlined, also easier to balance in my case (for my old tri-suit I had weight around my neck, weight on my waist, and some more stuffed down the suit).

I just looked at Orca's website - there is a new line of products. Instead of RS1 I see the S2 wetsuit that looks similarly. The list price is quite a bit cheaper than it was at RS1 - only 169€. At the RS1 the catalog price was 240€ if I remember well. Unfortunately the description is quite sparse, so it is not quite clear if it is really the equivalent of the old RS1, and what thickness of neoprene it is made of. They write it is the successor of S1, but I do not remember seeing any S1. There are new RS1 AERO suites too, in the Triathlon section, but they are no wetsuits - just light sleeveless fabric suites.

So if anyone already owns the S2, please post a review!

what about about the glide of your glaros is it good?I'm considering buying the full body suit (since it's cheaper than orca suit) other great option is yingfa sharskin full body but not so good for thermal protection but has the great glide ever

The S2 is cheaper but looks inferior to the old RS1. I contacted Orca, and they told me they still worked on Alpha Free specifically for freediving. But seing the price of the Alpha suits, I doubt there will be many freedivers who can afford it - it costs 465€.

I asked them to bring back RS1 - it is affordable, and works pretty well for freediving. I did not understand why they pulled it from the offer.

Last week I ordered another RS1 for my brother - I found them for just 149€ (+ free shipping!) at Top Sport : RS1 MODELE 2008 but now there is only the S size remaining. A real bargain, especially because at the first one I bought, the shipping was pretty expensive, so in total I paid 100€ more.

Well, if not that, there is also a 1mm wetsuit from Aquasphere - it is being used by the French national team, and can be found for around 180€ in retail stores, perhaps even less on the web.

Last edited:
Orca Clarification

Hi guys - Ivo suggested it may be useful for Orca to register on the forum (hope you don't mind), so you can get information straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

I can't necessarily tell you what stores stock what products in what countries, but I can help with technical info and what we're up to with free diving.

FYI: the RS1 Fullskn was discontinued as a triathlon wetsuit. We realise many free divers found it really good, along with the Apex 2. As you guys have mentioned the Apex 2 was replaced by the Alpha this year, and William has been diving in a prototype version of the Alpha modified for free diving (some things removed like the forearm catch panels and some panel thicknesses etc changed).

One thing to note re: RS1 and our current range is that the Equip sleeveless is essentially the same as the RS1 Freeskn, and the Equip fullsleeve has the same 1mm arms/shoulders as the RS1 Fullskn, but thicker neoprene through the body and legs. Also, for the German market we branded a wetsuit the Equip Lite. This is basically the RS1 Fullksn with different graphics and colourway. We're confirming our 2010 range at the moment, and at the moment the Equip Lite will be offered in all markets.

One other product that may be of interest is the Heatseeker vest. This is a sleeveless vest made from 1mm neoprene, that has a thermal lining. It is designed to be worn under a wetsuit in colder water.

We've recently added a free diving page to our new website and will try and improve the content as we move forward: Free Diving

Hope this helps and let me know if you want any other info. Free diving is a new sport for us, but trying to develop some technologies to help you guys out like we do the triathletes!

Cheers,

Simon

Simon, welcome on Deeper Blue, and thanks for peeking in! Thank you also for the information sent to me privately by email. You wrote that you pulled RS1 from the market because there was little interest among triathlonists, and the sales to freedivers are too low to keep it alive. You also wrote that the development of the new freediving wetsuit is a long and expensive process.

I am looking forward to the new Alpha Free suit, but wonder what you expectations exactly are. If the relatively inexpensive RS1, despite its rising popularity among freedivers, did not sell well enough, ain't you afraid that the money and time you invest into the new freediving wetsuit won't turn into more sales than it was the case with RS1? Especially, considering its high expected price (Alpha costs 465€ on your EU website), the number of people who can afford it is certainly lower than those willing to buy an RS1.

Well, if you start offering Equip with 1mm all over - that might be a good solution. Let's hope we see it soon and can read some reviews from freedivers testing it. I am afraid my RS1 won't hold too long and I don't find it in my size anymore :)

There are some wider contexts that impact our decisions on wetsuits, that relate to what wetsuits are made, and which are not. E.g. The Alpha is a continuing line for us, and the free diving version is a modified version of that. It is still in development, so we will see how we go with that.

The RS1 was not continued for triathlon, but as explained similar products can be found in the current range, and others will be available in 2010, that should suit free diving as well. In an ideal world we'll have a couple of free diving specific wetsuits, that don't have to rely on the decisions and product developments we make with triathlon.

There is a huge amount of difference in technology and construction between the RS1 and the Alpha, which is reflected in the price difference. We realise that the Alpha may not be affordable for many people, but in triathlon that is why we offer four categories of wetsuit at different price points. It just happens that William and other free divers have found the Alpha is ideal for what they need, so we are supporting them with developing a high end suit.

Hope this helps!

As the first person to ever set a world record with a triathlon suit (2001 Orca Predator), I have watched progression of triathlon suits in the last 8 years. However, what I want still does not exist. My comments:

1. For freediving, no wetsuit that has sleeves can ever be ideal. The energy needed to extend the arms is too great, no matter how flexible the material. If the water is cold enough to warrant sleeves, then the *only* practical solution would be to use a sleeveless suit, with Quintana Roo separate sleeves, which thus leave the shoulder uncovered.

2. Heat loss through the head is very large, especially in colder waters or in cold thermoclines. In those situations an integrated hood is ideal.

If I were creating a 'freediving' line of triathlon style suits, I would offer four versions:
1. Sleeveless, hoodless, 1mm
2. Sleeveless, hoodless, 3mm
3. Sleeveless, with hood, 1mm
4. Sleeveless, with hood, 3mm
+ separate sleeves like the Quintana Roo sleeves, as an extra option
+ extra vest option

I recently bought the Orca "EQUIP" sleeveless, full legs. I like it very much for dynamic no fins. I wish it were just a bit more flexible in the stomach/chest area to make it easier for peak inhalation.
I also have a couple quintana roos that I have bought for dynamics. None of these are flexible enough in my opinion.
I am currently using an Oceaner for depth, which I love, but have not used for dynamics.

Azapa the suit looks great but since it's hoodless and 3 mm u can't use it in pool beacause is to hot or in cold open waters because the heat loss in the head is too great and didn't see any good hood with glide exterior and low mm

I think the glaros if it has proper glide would be the better and cheapper choice, as far I have heard it is warm good for summer and though this is what u can see by the schubastore and some post but no one said anything about the glide

of course glide suits are also good but too expensive for recreational and to thick for comp, for comp I would the recomend a swimsuit as you can see that the molchanovs used in their last dynamic records

Ammend:in the third sentence I was refering to orca suits

I know that some will say that swimsuits are to expensive but that depends were you buy it mostly in europe you can get yingfa sharkskin with great quality for less than 100

There has been alot of talk about the RS1 lately. It differs from the new tri-suits because it has no "buoyancy panels." Since it is almost buoyancy-neutral it is excellent in depthcomp. in warmer waters. I found this suit https://www.perweek.co.nz/speedo-thinswim-male-and-female/ which seems to be a high-end suit with 1mm body and 0,5mm arms. It has the slippery SCS-coating and should be hydrodynamically good. In Euros this would cost about 267. Anyone tried this one.

And to Eric F: Since you want suits without arms. Have you tried a sleeveless tri-suit that is good?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT