• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Skippin' school for a purpose

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Aquiles

King of the Kup KK04'
Sep 19, 2001
Well,

I must say that for the first time skipping class for a fishing trip it was sure worth it. I left for the Keys on tuesday night after a mad study session of Radiology. I figured that there was not a class worth going to on this particular wendsday.

Boy was I right! The ride to the keys was unventful. The road was empty and I was cruising aroung 80 mph. I got to the keys in record time 1hr 40 min. We fueled the boat and got ready for the next day.

No $hi_ there I was; it was still dark and I had not slept a wink all night. It was 6:00 am and i got that feeling that big fish were in my future. The weather had changed overnight, that was no problem that we could not handle.

There was one problem, as always we had left something. I left my damn weight belt at the dock. I could not make the guys go in. I figured that if we had some weight I could manage. We managed to find eight pounds of weight and I shoved them in my suit. Later we managed to make a weight belt out of a fighting belt. It was better, than having those weights bouncing around the precious jewels.

As day broke, we jumped in the water. I had fleeting glimpses of fish in the distance. A commercial boat started running in circles and chumming the area when it happened. I shot my first grouper. As I came up with it I heard another gun go off. Louis had shot a small mutton. Then came the school of kings. It was crazy we were surrounded by them. There must have been 10 snakes in the water. They ranged from 10 to thirty pounds. My gun was unloaded so I could not take a shot. Mario managed to take a shot and gave one of the kings a nice mohawk!

As soon as the action started it ended. We kept moving. We came up to the #14 marker and started to fish the outer reef. The depth was about 70 to 80 feet. We started to find yellow jacks and snappers on the bottom. I took aim on my first jack of the day and let the metal fly! It managed to skewer the fish all the way through. I hate this cause he can get lots of leverage. He kept trying to drag my spear "all over hell and breakfast"(Sven KK03) I kicked like hell to make it to the surface. When I finally subdued him I noticed that I was left with a bent spear and some uninvited guests.

Another charter boat noticed that we were on the fish and wanted to get in on the action. The boat was less than 75 feet from us and we could not do a thing. They threatend to run us over when we were the first ones on the spot. Damn I wish that I could have cut thier anchor line. :D (Freeman KK03) Well we kept on drifting and managed to kill lots of fish. All the while my pals were suffering in class.

The weather was falling apart and we were under a small craft advisory. The waves were picking up to 3-5 and the the sky was closing up. We were surrounded by thunder clouds and lighning strikes. We could not see more than 50 feet in front of the boat! We tuned on the gps and made it to shore completely by instruments. What a great ending to a fun day. We were at port by 1:15. We managed to kill 6 muttons 3 bar jacks two grouper 1 cubera and a mackarel. that fish by 12 30. Lunch was great, this is probably cause we were just happy not to get fried by lightning. This has been the worst storm this spring. It rained for the next six hours.

Hope the story is entertaining

Aquiles

Last edited:
those damn muttons are everywhere...thats why I dont shoot them. Its just too easy:vangry

glad you are having fun...I however have been spending too much time on the water and no time in it. We have been slamming the red snapper and cobia like you wouldnt believe. Last several times out we have made our limit (8 man limit is 32 snapper) in less than an hour and I keep forgeting to bring my gun to entertain guest when we are done...next time will be different :martial

and by the way everybody... if you get to go to the next Keyz Kraze Invitational and your just sooo damn happy to finally be able to clear and finally lob a bit of stainless into a decent sized AJ, and when you bring it up to the swimstep all smiley and stoked, and when Mike grins and says, "Yeah they're all over and ain't they the stoopidest fish??", do your best tro refrain from lobbing a little stainless at him!!

:head

sven

Way to go mi amigo. I was out in the same weather diving on the Duane off K.L. I'll give you a call this week. Again nice shootin'.
Jay

Hey Guys,

Aquiles - I am glad to hear you are getting salty my friend. Sounds like a great day. CA has been plastered by a series of storms that has left the dive conditions here less than desirable. Gotta go get some snails soon as the fish closure here only gives us surf perch to shoot.:yack . Does not even compare with those tasty stupid fish that are soooo easy to kill.

Keep up the occasional truancy as it is great for the soul.

ps, any school breaks in July that I can get in on?? Could save me some $ by hand delivering your new mahogany companionway step (king of subtle here):D

Hey there octo,

I might have a break in july. I gotta check the sched to see whats up. I know that I have clinic all summer and the boards are in the middle of June so Between july and August there should be some sort of break. I will let you know. 5 more days and ten tests between me and freedom!

Aquiles

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT