• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Slip tips

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Two things...
First, because vinyl stretches to twice its length, if I stretch a 50' tube to 65' while inserting rope inside, is it a floatline or a bungie or a hybrid:confused:

Second, I took out my #H today and the first shot I took hit a nice calico - bullseye. Too easy. The only problem was that the shaft continued to the bottom and my slip tip completly buried itself in the reef-dissapeared. I tugged, and tugged but it would not release. Fortunatly, with my knife, and about a dozen dives later, I was able to save my tip.

And yeah, the calico made me a sweet lunch

Adam

Welcome back to class :D

Unless you're specifically targeting a soft fleshed fish like a WSB, a twin barb, either fixed/spinner or detachable is going to save you from another episode, but don't sweat it...it happens, or should to everybody.

Personally, I leave the vinyl in the sun for a few and stretch it just to put a couple extra feet of line in it... and assemble w/o stretching the vinyl from there.

sven

Got an Alexander tri cut slip tip in the mail today...looks badass! i like the way the cable lays on this rig more than the icepick. Anyone else using these tips and would you recommend a small rubberband to keep the tip on...like the ones used on braces? I would guess to put it around the cable at the slide ring?

Without that retainer ring(ala Riffe) what is the best technique for fish removal for this badboy? The way the cable is swagged by ball on the tip I dont think turning the tip around will be a viable option...

Got my new suit today as well. Thanks for the advice Sven. I ended up getting a Picasso Apnos(no camo but it is a green color, almost like camo in my water:D ) and it is awesome. Look out lumps here I come. If there are any tuna left after Terry Mass leaves this week...

Terry's down there?? Guy must have finally sold his boat...

Good score w/ the Alexander tip! Those thing's are pieces of work aren't they? Yes, rubber bands from your kid's (or date's ;) ) orthodontist are the way to go. Pulling the thing out involves shoving the spear clear through and out reassembling the tip and then shoving it back through the entry.

After you've strung it of course.:mute

sven

yeah he's there...with Gerald Lim(sp?)...wish I was on that boat just to listen and learn...;)

We took a run to the Channel Islands after I replaced the fuel tanks on his boat. I had dove around with him in the 70's along with a few other notables, the Ernsts and even our own Bill here, and to see him then was just nuts- the guy was down for days and epitomized smooth until he had a fish on. His planning made it for him though...

That trip to Anacapa I pretty much just let him go off after a few dives- the guy's just a machine! I've not dove with Gerald, though the grapevine has it that he's competant as Hell too.

sven

Rig,

I have read about Midnight Lumps on magazines long time ago and in fact I just surf around the net. U lucky man being so close to the action.

-What is the water temp there ?
-What kind of viz to expect ?
- I read there are people scuba hunting there, how big is the top 200 feet surface and what kind of structure does the salt mountain provide ?
- Is is very sharky ?

I wish you all the best but please don't use a single Riffe float, it maybe not enough for those 100+lbs YellowFin Tuna.

Do tell us the great stories Kapiten.

Have fun,
IYA

Alright Iya, let me see how many Q's I can answer for you...

water temp-well there are 2 water temps at the lumps and this will go hand in hand with the vis question as well. The lumps, as you probably know sit about +/- 20 miles out of Tiger Pass, one of the mouths of the Mississippi River. This time of year with all the rain from passing coldfronts, most often there is a layer of river discharge on the surface(green murky water) the temp of this is about 50-58f or so. Underneath the murk, which can be from a couple of feet deep to over 100', it opens up into nice Gulf of Mexico bluewater. This temp stays about 10-12f warmer so ...

Dont know of anyone scuba hunting the lumps themselves but on the rigs in the area...not much bottomtime at 200+

The top of the dome is about 1 1/2 sq miles or so.

It is extremely sharky with LARGE hammerheads, bulls and an aboundance of those "friendly" mako's. The problem being the murk layer which makes it even harder to keep an eye on the man. This area of the gulf is actually thought to be a breeding area for makos...

totally redid my gear for these upcomng trips Iya, MT4(4 bands) w/ 3 wraps 500# coated cable, 75ft floatline, 10ft norprene bungie, 2 11liter RA foam blown floats. Oh yeah, switched out my riffe icepick for an Alexander Tricut b/c as Sven would say...its dakine:cool:

speaking of the lumps...Terry shot a 91# wahoo today...now if I can find a way to get out of school tommorrow...:hmm

Extremely sharky............... I guess I heard something falling off my pants........:confused:

Becareful Rig and do bring home great stories and catch. Let me know how the Alexander Slip Tip works. I seen it before up close but the tri cut scares me. I am under the illusion that unless the fish is very big like 30kg up, tri cut makes a messy hole.......:confused:

Good Luck dude....

PS, 91# Wahoo.....my my.....must look as long as a big Sail Fish. I thought Terry stop shooting and does video and photo more often now.

it was actually 93#...bet the hoo wishes Terry only shot video;)
Iya, there is a killer pic of it on www.rodnreel.com submitted by captain Al Walker titled king neptune or something if you care to take a peak...I would, its sick:cool:

Oh yeah hows this for sharky...the discovery channel has booked a boat for 10 days to try to freedive with some makos on film for shark week...Manny and Mark from "Extreme Encounters" are going to attept this...they have made a request that if fisherman spot a mako in the chum lines to call them on the radio and they will race over and get in:head Sounds like another example of Darwinism to me...

:crutch

Last edited:
YEP, I seen the Rod & Reel Wahoo....awesome.

I'll pay NOT to see any sharks........thanks.... ha ha ha. I don't know when willbe the day when I can ignore or knock sharks head with speargun butts like those on spearfishing videos.

Maybe I need to transplant a South African heart & balls :D :D

So when are you heading for the Midnight Lumps and who and how many buddies going to keep you company ? If I can borrow Start Trek beam transponder, I don't mind being just a bobbing floater there and see the action:eek:

got trips booked for next weekend, and the week after that, pending the weather. Actually trying to round up some people for tomm. and Mon. as the weather is unusually beautiful...

:t

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT