• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Slippy Powder wetsuit lubricant and biodegradability...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mmal

Nov 9, 2020
Hello,
I decided to jump on the Slippy wetsuit powder train, primarily because it's listed on their website that it "is made from biodegradable materials and contains no microplastics." I've seen on other websites that "It is biodegradable but only if other energy sources are present..."

My question is: what do they mean by "other" energy sources? Are we talking about the sun here?

The Slippy website claims the powder is made from a "blend of pharma-grade PEG, of Western European origin." PEG is an acronym for Polyethylene Glycol. Studies done on the biodegradability of PEG seem to be inconclusive, as certain studies state that the chemical is not biodegradable, while others, such as this one, conducted in 1975 at Cornell University, state that it will biodegrade, but the time it takes depends on the lab it was manufactured in... this is also a good comprehensive paper, covering ALL studies done from 1962 to 2000.

Science aside, the product is incredible. I mix roughly two teaspoons of the stuff into a 16oz spray bottle with warm water and it creates a wetsuit lube that rivals anything I've ever used. It has absolutely zero scent to it and rinses off with fresh water very easily. I absolutely hate seeing bottles of store-bought conditioners sitting on the dock or boat knowing all the crap that's in that stuff... and, science aside, I do think Slippy is a better and more cost-effective solution.

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT