• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Small knife or BIG KNIFE ??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

99heritage

Jan 23, 2003
Hi everyone. I'm new to diving (have done 3 shallow, un-certified dives at beach resorts). I'm halfway through getting my C-Card and have purchased most of my gear. I plan on diving pretty regular when I'm certified. I'm going to Cozumel to finish my Open Water. Along with the other gear I bought, I purchased a UK Titanium Blue Tang Knife.

I tried on all my gear (as I am ready to leave to Cozumel) and feel a little ridiculous with this BIG RAMBO KNIFE on my ankle. Can you guys tell me what your prefences are?

Thanks in advance...

I own the same knife (but in Stainless Steel). I wear it on the waist-strap of my harness, as it seems to get tangled in too much stuff while on my calf and I can reach it much easier that way.

If you want to see a Rambo knife I have 2 Mares Tris (1970's) knifes laying around here I used to wear.... 9in blade!

The Tang is a nice knife. easy to clean (comes apart) and has a metal butt (tank banger). I'm probably picking up a Z-knife for a secondary, but I'll hang on to the tang for a while.

Willer

It's not the length that is important, it's the ability to use it:D

big knife, small d...:D

I've got the same knife. I put mine in my BC pocket and run a lanyard through the sheath where the strap would go and then clip the lanyard to the nearest D-ring around the pocket opening. You could also use the strap and do the same thing. Or just get used to wearing it on your calf, remember-on the inside of your calf. In all actuallity you'll probably only use it 1 out of every 100 dives, and then it's only to poke something or cut some mono free from the bottom.
Jay

I don't use any knife for scuba diving.

If I am in warm water I use a small "Z-knife" that can fit on a watch band if you want it to- I wear mine on my waist next to my crotch strap.

For cold water I have used EMT shears in the past. I recently changed these to a small pair of tin snips that fit into the same holster that my EMT shears did.

I only use a knife when spearfishing.

The Z-kinfe, EMT shears, or tin snips all cost me less than $10.
I have a box of knives in my basement that I have found over the years. the only thing that I ever had to buy for them was a sheath. :D

Jon

Hi 99heritage

I agree with Jay, you may have a use for a knife 1 in every 100 dives, and find a knife strapped to my calf rather cumbersome.

The way I see it, as long as the blade is long enough to penetrate my buddy's wetsuit and skin, it will create enough blood in the water to attract the threatening shark to him, giving me time to make my escape!!

Seriously though, I use a small 'BC' knife, that attaches to the shoulder strap of my BC, which is more than sufficient to cut through any fishing line or the like that you'd want to remove from the reef.

In my book the rule always applies, no touching, which includes touching with a knife!!:eek:

Wetsuit Knife Leg Pocket

I live near a wetsuit manufacturer (JMJ) and if you take your fullsuit to them, they will add a sheath-like knife pocket to your suit on the inner calf or anywhere you else think of. I don't have this set up (yet) but I've seen on many divers and it looks like it works great. Lots of people don't scuba with a knife, but monofiliment is hard to break with out one. Also you can perform radical emergency modifications like cut a jammed second stage off your low presure line to get at your air supply if you don't have an octo (something I've never done :duh ).

I like the idea of having one on my leg and a little one on my BC or wrist (don't have this set up, yet, either).

As far as a big knife, a med sized, blunt tip is more than enough for anything unless you're spear fishing and need to stab speared flatties between the eyes to stop them flailing. I'm not much of a spearo :eek: but I've seen people use knifes for this.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT