• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Smoking & Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
hi

Smoking is not going to make you a better freediver, but I know some guys who are very good freedivers/Spearos who smoke

cheers

What do I think? As I sit here sucking away on yet another Camel non-filter? Been smoking these things for years. Yes, it limits you, some more than others. At 40 I don't have the same endurance I had at 30, but who does? I can still dive past the length of my floatline, 15M, which is why I went to a 20M floatline yesterday, even though all the larger fish I've shot lately have been about 30' or shallower.

For anybody that's thinking of starting smoking, don't do it. Health concerns aside, figure out how much money you would spend on cigarettes, a pack a day over the next ten years, put it all in a pile and burn it. That's what you would be doing with that money anyway. Or, better yet, send that money to me and I'll send you a nice thankyou card. Which is a lot more of a return than you would get from the cigarettes.:D

P.S.-I promise not to spent the money on smokes. Instead I'll use it to support my Riffe habit (having a few more around here certainly wouldn't hurt).;)

Last edited:
Reactions: loopy
expect if you want to break a world record, smoking (not too much) is not so bad.
Enzo maiorca smoked and stopped one month before each record attempt :hmm

PS: i stopped smoking 3 years ago, on surface I can swim faster and longer but it didn't change my apnea times.

Of the dive buddies I have that smoke they are ok divers.
They get out of breath and complain alot about carrying
their gear to the dive sites. I guess it comes down to self respect.
Why would someone want to smoke if they were not already doing so?

I think very badly on smoking. I can't find even one GOOD reason for smoking.
About smoking and freediving, I think that most chances are that it does cut something off your ability, or atleast out of your potential.

Having Enzo maiorca being a smoker says actually nothing. :D

There is one thing that is so far showen by numbers (to me atleast), the more you smoke, the less years you gonna be freediving.

It's everybody's freedom to make their own choises. as it sohuld be.

I know it's been more than a decade since this topic was opened, but I have a piece of info to add. According to my personal experience, smoking decreases your lung tissues elasticity dramatically. I'm 27, and have been smoking for almost 8 years -one pack per day-, and I had two lung squeezes at 20 meters because my lungs are not elastic at all.
Good news is; it takes 3-4 months after you quit smoking for your lungs to return -almost- to the original state, unless you've been heavily smoking for decades because you might have had a permanent damage.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT