• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Smooth wood for your sweety!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

icarus pacific

Human-in-training
Nov 7, 2001
With Christmas coming up, why not show her you care with some Sultany smooth wood?! ;) And long, stiff and rare wood at that! Be the envy of your buddys, the crown prince of pelagics and a true afficianado of wall art with this 60" laminated TEAK speargun stock!

Clear, reversed grain, laminated with West epoxy, aged and straighter than you are, this hunk of Mother Earth's best is machined for an Alexander or AimRite trigger and mechanism, with line release, floater/bungie hole, 4-5 5/8" bands, reinforced muzzle and 5/16" or 3/8" shaft. Is that cool or what??!! :cool:

But wait there's more! Since it's from the Sultan of Smooth, need you ask about the finish??!! Can you say 400 grit, wet/dry and ready for oil or epoxy? Is that drool on your lap?

Ready to ship minus hardware and finish coat to you and yours for the insanely reasonable price of $350 US. Spend a little time with a screwdriver and some oil to seal it up and you are golden!!

Hit the PM button and let me know whatcha think. And hey! Check out the for sale area here on DB for more good wood from the guy that knows smooth! :king

Boyoboy! Are you gonna be her favorite when she unwraps this!!

sven

Last edited:
Im sure you hre this all the time Sven but damn, you sure have some fine wood, and its quite large!;)

It's loks like Wong Mahi....

Are you sure it's stock and muzzle can handle the recoil coming from 4-5 5/8 bands since Wong Mahi is can resist only 3 5/8 bands?

What will be the final price with fnished stock,power bands and, shaft?

No, what it looks like is an Alexander... :hmm

Yeah, it'll take the load of 5/8 bands, it's cross laminated in the muzzle and all done up shaft, line, epoxy finish and signature, these sell retail for $1200-1400.00. My price for serious DB members is waaay less.

sven

wong mahi is taller, has no bungee hole, and has no wishbone slit in the muzzle.

this looks pretty sweet, señor big boffo. is it open track? does that aimrite handle come w/ it? what's the unfinished weight? got any lead in it? what shaft is the track lathed for?

nice piece. :cool:

andrsn

mmm..... wood.

Si Mon, the Wong Mahi is longer.

This particular gun has an open track and will accomodate a 5/16 or 38 shaft with a tad of filling to the shaft's tang as the Alexander triggers are tight on the current Riffe style shafts. This mod is very minor, taking a couple of quick swipes with a file to round off the corners of the tang where it contacts the trigger sear.

This one weighs a pube over 5-1/2 lbs and is minus everything save the Wong handle. Adding the Alexander trigger, release, shaft, etc would put this at around 9- 9-1/2 lbs and then the balancing and ballasting begins, adding wings if you want and lead in the tail, bringing it to about 14 pounds... Sure, I'll throw in the AimRite handle, a 30-something dollar piece. The mounting holes for it are the same for an Alexander and a Riffe, though you'll need to radius the barrel more in the mounting area for a Riffe handle.

This is a rig especially for the So Cal crowd, (can you say White sea Bass?) where the length is a trade off for being able to swing around in the kelp and being able to tag something out at 15-20 feet. This'd be a pretty smooth deal for the stuff outside the rigs in the Gulf as well.

The guts for this thing, trigger, release, shaft, bands and all will set you back a cool $300 and change and the finish is up to the owner; oil, sealer/oil, epoxy gloss...

This is a more affordable route to starting a serious blue water internship than ponyting up $1000 and up for a commercially available unit.

As i know Wong Mahi has two version 55 and 60 inch length.I read this from the AIMRITE.

do you sell the plans for this. i would like to build my own gun but i dont know where to start. i am interested in building a blue water gun. i am not sure how to laminate the wood first of all for max strength. anything will help me. thanks

First of all, welcome h50, secondly, as a new member it will take you some "enjoyable" time to find your way around. However you will find plenty of info about building guns. Try the search button or just wait for the replies.
b lucky Mart.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT