• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Snapping Turtles

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kale

Jun 20, 2006
Do you guys ever see big snapping turtles underwater? I dove a lake in northwestern WI and got my hands on a beast of one. My gf's family told me i should have caught it and taken it back for some turtle soup. I didn't want to kill it but it was cool to see and it easily towed me around. Does anybody catch them diving? Is it legal? How big do they get up there? The one I saw, I would estimate to be at least 40+lb and very fiesty!

They are legal - but have a season and a size limit (min and Max) They can turn on you too. I've seen some beasts myself, I generally stay away from them cause of their bite- they won't let go. They do taste good though- not sure how the REALLY big ones taste. I suppose though, catch one measure it and if it's legal size keep it. I don't think I would spearone though- then you'd really have a fight on your hands.

A Buddy of mine killed one by cutting it's head off - the next day it was still crawling around (he had it soaking in Clean water)

Fred (fjohnson) got a hold of one at Freedive-a-palooza a few yeas ago and the thing reached its head all the way around the back and almost bit him!:martial

I had no idea their necks were so long until I saw that. I have avoided grabbing them ever since I watched that.

I think I have pictures of it posted somewhere on here.

Jon

• [*]Turtles. [FONT=CMNDM H+ Times LT Std,Times LT Std]The open turtle season runs from July 15 through November 30. Turtles or turtle eggs may not be taken during the closed season.
    [/FONT]
    [*]
    [*]Snapping turtle size limits are a 12-inch minimum and a 16-inch maximum carapace (top shell) length.
    [*]There are no size limits for other turtles.
There are some other regulations that apply as well. Kenosha news had an article on a snapping turtle trapper about a year ago. Sounded interesting.

I too was amazed by how long their necks are! Maybe if I saw them all the time I would feel differently, but I don't think I could bring myself to catch one and chop it's head off. From what I heard, the soup is really good though. What does it taste like?

i had a big snapper in my front yard not too long ago and if you grab the top of the shell right behind its head it cant get you i used to catch them alot and the soup is great really really good i used to to do that and catfish noodling

Heres a couple stories on snappers. My friends dad when he was around my age (18) used to catch them locally (portage county) and actually sold them to the local country kitchen. They made them into soup that does taste good, and I have heard the flavor of the meat be compared to chicken. Heres the story on the biggest snapper Ive ever seen:

I was spearing with a buddy in Bear lake in mid-september, after a rain. This doesnt sound like ideal timming for a dive because it wasnt, kyle had never been spearfishing and had been begging all summer long. Figuring with the weather declining every day, I should get him out as soon as possible we went. Visibility turned out to be around 4-5ft, so we "ran" off the lilly pads at about that range so we could barely see him. (Ideal crappie territory in this lake) Shot one fish, and put him on the stringer, but strangely saw very few fish in a lake that had never not produced a full stringer. We continued on, when suddenly out of the corner of my SCUBAPRO "ventana" mask I saw an object rushing towards me. I turned my body to it and saw that it was a large snapping turtle, mouth agape, charging me. In the same instant I put my spear tip in what I would call its shoulder, and pushed it down in front of me. (Because of vis this all happened in half a second) I had been amazed by the size, speed, and strength of the animal. My friend kyle who was with me said that when I pushed it down in front of me the tip of its tail was aligned with my shoulder and that its snout was down my fins. Making this animal around 4 1/2 feet long. We decided to leave. Once on shore an old man asked us "Seen any snapping turtles?" and I replied with the sublime "Oh... there in there!" Scary to think that that thing would have clamped onto my head and *POP* that would have been the end of me. Immensly powerful jaws that, as whopperhead said, do not let go. Be careful, they are probably the most dangerous animal in wisconsin to a diver.

after a snapping turtle took a huge chunk out of our largest pike on our stringer under the dock... a hardcore fisherman friend of mine said he's cut the head off a snapping turtle and it would still bite hard the next day... I didn't believe him but....now I'm not so sure...

ok well when or if you want to catch one take something had that they couldnt bite through and let them bite that first then take you dive knofe or what ever knofe you like and cut off its head. make sure its big enough to make a good batch of stew and you will taste the best thing you have ever ate. but i do know that when i caught them i would come up from behind them grab the top of there shell right behind its head and my other hand on the back of its shell so that way i could pick it up then i would take like i said something it wouldnt bite through and let it bite cut off its head and then after that proceed to get the meat . so who and when does someone want to get one

snapturtle.jpg

That's some crazy turtle right there!

That there is AUSTRALIAN for Turtle! That or the Turtle is from Texas. See- The Ocean has sharks, we Have prehistoric dinosaurs chomping at us.

Reminds me of that movie "Neverending Story" - "But........... we're............ allergic................ to........................ humans........."

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT