• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Snorkel on the left or right side

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Billson

Jun 16, 2004
Hello everybody. I'm a newbie here as you all can see. I'll get right to the point with my question. If I'm posting in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it where it is appropriate.

I like snorkeling a lot although I don't get to do it as often as I'd like. I bought a mask and snorkel a couple of years ago but have never used it and recently in the process of fiddling around with it, I disassembled it and when I was about to put it back together suddenly realized that the snorkel wasn't symmetrical and I can't remember if it belonged on the right or left side of the mask since I've never put it on under water before taking it apart.

I'll try to describe it as best I could. It's a Dolfino made in China. I've thrown away the packaging so I don't know if it has a model no or something. The bottom of the mouth piece has a blowhole that points down when on the left side of the mask and points forward at about 45 degrees if on the right side of the mask. Which do you think is the correct side for it? Is there a difference where it should be located?

Simply put, if you were given a disassembled mask and snorkel, how would you figure out where it goes?

Thanks.

Reactions: Baur
Whichever side is more comfortable is the best side. With scuba its best to have it on the opposite side to your regulator but with freediving, no problems :)

I put mine on the left side. Sometimes I put it on the right side to see if there's any anooying feelings but couldn't find any. I would just concentrate on the beautiful views at the bottom of the reefs than worry about which side the snorkel is located.

If you are a scuba diver, the snorkel should always go on your left side, because your second stage regulator will come over your right shoulder.

What side you put your snorkel on depends on what part of the Philippines you are diving....if you are Filipino or not...the time of the year...whether you are spearfishing or merely freediving...or if the binibini watching you is maganda or pangit :D just joking guy, I've seen it on both sides even without. It all depends on your preference. Go experiment and go with what feels natural. And save some bangus for me til I go there next year will ya. Which part of the Philippines are you diving anyways?

Reactions: Baur
I'm not really a diver or anything serious. I just tried out snorkeling a few years ago and loved it straight away. I get to do it once or twice a year at most if I'm lucky. Maybe this is why I don't know the answer to such a seemingly simple question. I've been trying out the snorkel and I think it's made to be worn only one way on the left side because the mouthpiece feels weird when I put in on the right side.

I usually use the snorkel to watch binibini's and not the other way around and then hopefully, I get to see some fish around as well :D

I am also new to snorkeling. Never liked water till I went to the Maldives for my honeymoon 4 years ago. Got hooked on snorkeling since then but, like you Billson, I can only do it once a year. Thinking of taking up scuba next year if I can save enough for the PADI lisence. In the mean time, I'm going snorkeling next month. At Redang Island to be exact. Yahoo!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT