• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

snorkel survey

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cjndiver

Apr 2, 2002
What type of snorkel is best suited to freedive hunting? I dont currently use the blasted things. Is there some advantage to using one, other than "snorkeling" on the surface to spot fish? I just can't stand all the flapping against my mask while stalking game.

K.I.S.S.

Hey Cjn,
The simpler the better, no fancy float balls on the top or diaphram purges on the bottom to get stuck open. A simple J tube(no jokes Sven). That being said I use a Shotgun 2. A little larger but still fairly streamlined. When I dive the mouth piece catches under my neck and keeps the whole thing from vibrating. Then on the way up I put it back in my mouth(I can hear the groans from the "no snorkle on ascent group"). One big advantage is when you shoot a fish and the guys in the gray suits show up you can keep your eye on them. Also as you mentioned tracking fish. IMHO.
Jay

Simple snorkel, thick and short.....:t makes good...snorkel:D

heh, heh, heh...he said, "snorkel"...

Snorkels?! Now we're talkin!!

If you've read any of my post here, you'll see that I'm the place's biggest pimp for a snorkel made by a defunct outfit named Farallon. Large bore, like me, and a great curve that hugs the mug and reduces that flutter thing you're wanking about. It's got a moldable-tab mouthpiece on a swivel that I spend all day in wothout feeling like I've been nursing on a prickly pear. It's da bomb!!

AQA in Hawaii has a snorkel that appears to be similar and if it is, I'm buying stock. I'm trying to get Bill, widely considered here in DB-land as "da Man" to take a stroll over there and give me the story. Da Billiam is also a Farallon kinda stud. You find any of these, let me know, I'm sportin a fistfull of $50's.

sven DB's J tube

Don't forget to fill in the snorkel in/out survey for *spearfishing*: [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=63661"]Snorkel In/Out Survey[/ame]

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT