• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Snorkel...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ling-cod_kid

Aug 31, 2004
When_you_are_spearfishing_with_a_snorkel_and_you_make_a

dive_do_you_take_the_snorkel_out_of_your_mouth_or_leave

it_in?

Thanks_David

I think it would be easier to keep air in your mouth if it doesn't have a tube sticking out of it... that's what, 100-150 mL (around 100 for me, and I have a small mouth).

This extra air will not only give you a bit more oxygen for that aspetto, but will also make it easier to equalize.

Also, would you still have it in when you surfaced? If so, you'd have to clear before you could take a breath. If you drop it before/when you surface, then you might as well drop it upon entry.

I don't know about spearfishing, but I've never met a freediver who "leaves it in".

-Adam

You take it out for safety. If you leave it in your mouth and black out it holds your mouth open and your lungs can potentially fill with water.

Also some divers I've dived with surface with it and immediately go into a face down position it's very hard to tell if they're breathing or blacked out.

At the performance freediving clinic they call diving with a snorkel in your mouth a beer offense. :naughty I committed many :friday mmmm duff

Leave it out definitely!
Safety being the first reason. Adding to what alein and smellsfishy said, if you clear it upon coming to the surface you are increasing your potential for a blackout because it's not the best way to get fresh air back into your lungs/blood/brain. And clearing creates a sudden blood pressure change.

Feeling much more natural underwater being second reason.

Reason number 3 is for spearfishing: when you keep it in your mouth it might keep leaking with bubbles now and then. Not a good way to attract fish.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT