• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Snorkels

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Baka

Oct 13, 2005
Hello all

After looking at some pictures and watching a couple spearfishing videos i have noticed that most of the spearos dont have their snorkel in thier mouth when they are underwater. Why is this done? I mean does it really help when you are diving?
Thanks

I've heard that if you black out with the snorkel in your mouth you can possibly inhale water and drown. Also in Last of the Blue Water Hunters by Carlos Eyles (awesome book) he mentions spitting out the snorkel to avoid bubbles from being released that could scare the fish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Man Dave
One of the instructors in the class I attended this week told the story of ending up hospitalized with sea water in his lungs after taking a breath of water through the snorkel. Safer to spit it out.

There are a couple of existing threads (& a poll or two) that discuss this in some detail. Opinion seems somewhat split. Free divers & deep divers often/usually seem to spit out. I was surprised at how many forum members do this, it seemed to be the majority in one poll - although I know a couple of experienced spearos that never/rarely do.

There are some additional reasons not mentioned here yet ... I won't pretend to understand all of the free diving issues involved but one issue not mentioned so far is the ability to get a breath fast w/o having to clear a snorkel first. Opinion seems more split on shallower spearing though - where a rhythm of moving, shorter, shallower dives & resting might be spoilt by messing with your tuba (I expect some incorporate snorkel removal w/o problem though). I keep mine in -- I learnt snorkelling long ago and it now seems more natural to me than removing it & I don't go real deep. I tried removing the snorkel before diving a few times but it messed up my routine with is largely subconcious at this stage (e.g. I automatically go face down to breath when I surface -- not good if your snorkel is out :D). I think it would take some getting used & I preferred not to.

A few observations: keeping the snorkel in & clearing it takes some getting used to too. A (cheap) simple J shape snorkel w/o valves is much quicker & easier to clear in my opinion (I was told that 20 years ago & it is still true). I tried a modern semi-dry tip + valve snorkel for most of last year and it was fine -- but it takes much more effort & time to fully clear; they seem to be more for surface snorkelling. I have gone back to a simple J (in fact I just ordered a new Seacsub camo one to try out). BTW A useful tip I picked up from the forum & use all the time now: If you exhale a little before you reach the surface the air will expand clearing much/all of the water from you snorkel with v. little effort.

Last edited:
Mr X I have only been reborn to the sea a year or so and I have bought and tried all sorts of gadget types of snorkel and have found that the basic J type is the boy.
As for the in or out thing I also keep the mouth piece in and breath out slightly on the way up and have found this to the best for me.

Is there a performance difference in diving with a soft and a stiff snorkel?

Mine is out during the dive. Before reading anything about it I found this somehow helps me relax - making for a longer, easier dive.

SanderP said:
Is there a performance difference in diving with a soft and a stiff snorkel?
It helps keep you free if you snag things (rocks/float line/weed) & reduces the chance of jarring knocks.

I go back occassionally & re-read some of the old threads. Opinions vary & change.

Other snorkel threads:
Spearo snorkels for UK (on going): [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=63434"]A better Snorkel for UK spearo?[/ame]
Snorkel In/Out poll: http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=63661&highlight=snorkel <---Please vote!
Snorkel In/Out discussion: http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=63487&highlight=snorkel
Freediving snorkel in/out discussion: http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=42709&highlight=snorkel
Hunting snorkel: http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=24328&highlight=snorkel

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT