• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Snorkles

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Vissy

Oct 24, 2013
Hi there I'm getting into spear fishing and was wondering what snorkle is best to get one with purge or tube been looking at silicone beauchat any feed back would be great ?

I would suggest a simple-J design and my current recommendation would be to get one of the Omersub Zoom range. The cheapest simple black one is very good.

Your size, the size & shape of your head and your lung capacity might all influence your choice.

I bought quite a lot of simple-J spearo snorkels under £10 (with my own money!) this year& last to try out. I wrote a thread comparing the snorkels, which is still a work-in-progress: https://forums.deeperblue.com/threa...ng-models-short-medium-long-camo-soft.105244/
Look at that thread for full info. So far, I liked a couple of the snorkels more than the others and one was a bit disappointing.

The Omer Zoom is my personal favourite so far& is available in a range of colors/camos/clear/flexible/prices. The fact that it was long ago recommended by SA spearo legend Miles might bias my opinion but it did work well & without fuss when I tried it out. The Cressi Corsica was good (there are numerous clones of this snorkel by different companies, prices vary), the decorative moulding near the mouthpiece felt odd but did not interfere with use. The very cheap (£3.50), promising, large bore Immersion Seriole snorkel was a little disappointing.

I've used a Beuchat Tubair Activa flexible snorkel for several years, it's ok but I prefer the Zoom - I think I am also going off very flexible snorkels.

I have a black & green camo Seacsub combat snorkel, older model, which looks great, has probably the best mask-retention strap/clip that I have come across but which just didn't work for me, it was simply too small for me but it might suit a smaller person very well. The newer version might be better (or might not!). Some of the Picasso snorkels have a reputation for being small - or better suited to small people - too.

I bought a couple of modern, identical, big bore Mares snorkels that I still need to try out, one is dual density - moderate flex - that looks promising. But the cheaper single density version of the same snorkel might turn out to be just as good and better value. These look promising but until I try them in the sea I just can't be sure.

Sometimes cheap snorkels work better than fancy, expensive ones. I have a really nice, very cheap "youth" snorkel from ebay retailer Procella (regrettably now out of business :( ). Clear mouthpiece & black tube. It worked very well in the pool but - being a "youth" snorkel - was too small/short for me. I thought my son might use it but he preferred to stick to using his purge-valve snorkel for surface snorkeling at the time. Scaled up to adult size, that would have been an excellent spearing snorkel.

Last edited:
I would suggest a simple-J design and my current recommendation would be to get one of the Omersub Zoom range. The cheapest simple black one is very good.

Your size, the size & shape of your head and your lung capacity might all influence your choice.

I bought quite a lot of simple-J spearo snorkels under £10 (with my own money!) this year& last to try out. I wrote a thread comparing the snorkels, which is still a work-in-progress: https://forums.deeperblue.com/threa...ng-models-short-medium-long-camo-soft.105244/
Look at that thread for full info. So far, I liked a couple of the snorkels more than the others and one was a bit disappointing.

The Omer Zoom is my personal favourite so far& is available in a range of colors/camos/clear/flexible/prices. The fact that it was long ago recommended by SA spearo legend Miles might bias my opinion but it did work well & without fuss when I tried it out. The Cressi Corsica was good (there are numerous clones of this snorkel by different companies, prices vary), the decorative moulding near the mouthpiece felt odd but did not interfere with use. The very cheap (£3.50), promising, large bore Immersion Seriole snorkel was a little disappointing.

I've used a Beuchat Tubair Activa flexible snorkel for several years, it's ok but I prefer the Zoom - I think I am also going off very flexible snorkels.

I have a black & green camo Seacsub combat snorkel, older model, which looks great, has probably the best mask-retention strap/clip that I have come across but which just didn't work for me, it was simply too small for me but it might suit a smaller person very well. The newer version might be better (or might not!). Some of the Picasso snorkels have a reputation for being small - or better suited to small people - too.

I bought a couple of modern, identical, big bore Mares snorkels that I still need to try out, one is dual density - moderate flex - that looks promising. But the cheaper single density version of the same snorkel might turn out to be just as good and better value. These look promising but until I try them in the sea I just can't be sure.

Sometimes cheap snorkels work better than fancy, expensive ones. I have a really nice, very cheap "youth" snorkel from ebay retailer Procella (regrettably now out of business :( ). Clear mouthpiece & black tube. It worked very well in the pool but - being a "youth" snorkel - was too small/short for me. I thought my son might use it but he preferred to stick to using his purge-valve snorkel for surface snorkeling at the time. Scaled up to adult size, that would have been an excellent spearing snorkel.

Thanks very much for your info much appreciated I've spent hours on net trying to get answers will look at the Omer zoom thanks again

I second the Omer zoom, you really cant go wrong with it, I had the mimetic brown, great snorkel (y)

I like the Riffe Stable. The accordion mouthpiece just falls away from your face when you remove it from your mouth. With the simple J snorkels like the Zoom, I feel like I have to rotate it away from my mouth as I start a dive. And then the connection to the vertical tube gets misaligned so that when I put the mouthpiece back in after I surface, the tube is off at some angle other than vertical.

But it must be a personal problem since so many use the J style. And of course if you don't remove your mouthpiece when you dive, then its not a factor.

Cheers guys I've just ordered myself the Omer zoom snorkle read nothing but good reviews on it thanks again for you views thanks again

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT