• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

So . . . how deep do I have to go to get the fish?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

WelfareXmas

Jul 24, 2003
Hello. My name is Jason and I'm interested in learning more about spearfishing.

I have no experience whatsoever and so, would like to pose the
following question to the spearos:

How deep do I have to go to catch decent-sized fish?

I ask because the idea of going much past 50 or 60 feet gives me the willies. I believe that range would be well within my abilities and that attempting much more than that would be assuming a level of risk that I can't justify. So . . can I find decent fish above 50 or 60 feet?

While I'm on the topic, what kind of depth would I need to engage in the classic blue-water hunting i.e. going after tuna and wahoo off the California coast? I understand that's a more advanced form of the game.

Thanks for your time.

--Jason

hi

Welcome to Db

Who says that you have to dive deep to get good fish. Wahoo are often speared only 10ft below the surface, my biggest fish was 73lbs Wrasse taken in 8ft of water. Im not familar with your waters but here if you have the 100ft plus freedive ability you will get the biggest fish.

Its not necessary to dive deep to get good fish, but to me there is no more rewarding experience then to shoot a fish at the deep depth for your own abilities.

In the med some spearos are fishing beyond 150ft

cheers

90% of fish are shot in the top 15m of water.. so 50ft puts you right in the zone.

The european spearos have to dive that deep because most fish life has been wiped out.:(

Here in Australia we rarely have to dive deeper than 10m to get quality fish.

hi

Yep shadow too true, most of my Mackerals have all been less than 10m.

The only fish in my waters that rarely come above 100ft are the Red emperor's, and Large and small mouth nannygai.

cheers

Ps oh yeah and those mongrel Doggies rarely appear above 100ft

Hi

It's quite true that you don't need to dive that deep to get a descent fish.

Here in Greece, even for the best of fish, depths vary from zero to 60-70 feet most of the times.

...........diving deeper is for our own pleasure I think

hi

Welcome to the forums nickolas, good to see some more med spearos here. Where in greece are you fishing.

cheers

Hello Ivan

I live in Athens but whenever I can I leave for the weekends.

I'm fishing all over Greece.

Excuse my bad english pls

Welcome nickolas,

Where do you hunt? Aegean sea? I heard that there are some very good sized groupers, even at 40-50 feet of water.

Last edited:
Good morning

I hunt all over Greece (Ionian, Aegean e.t.c.). The number of groupers has fallen rapidly. But knowing the correct conditions and time you can still find some good ones.

My most recent good one was 10 days ago. 18 Kg grouper from 26m of depth (78 ft I think?).

But these are exceptions of the rule.

Where are you murat?

Hi nickolas,

I live in Famagusta.

While surfing on the net i encounter with speargun brand Teak-Sea. The manufacturer is greek guy. http://www.teak-sea.com/index_an.html

They produced very big guns up to 196cm 6*16mm power bands 11mm shaft. I am wondering why is this for? Do you have any idea?

Hello again

These guns are used for blue-water hunting (tunas e.t.c.)
In the rescent years more and more people are into this type of hunting.

But I'm sure that Cyprus has more fish than here. Reliable friends that have gone there tell me so.

I think you'd find very interesting places in Turkey opossite the greek islands of the aegean. Every time I travel I watch the coastline and I see very interesting places. A friend who dove there has very interesting stories.

Originally posted by nickolas
Good morning

I hunt all over Greece (Ionian, Aegean e.t.c.). The number of groupers has fallen rapidly. But knowing the correct conditions and time you can still find some good ones.

My most recent good one was 10 days ago. 18 Kg grouper from 26m of depth (78 ft I think?).

But these are exceptions of the rule.

Where are you murat?

hi

26m depth impressive :cool:

cheers

ps I think thats more like 86-87ft

Hi Ivan

Thank you very much.

I just saw you're in northern Australia...........I envy you my friend.

It's my dream to dive there. Especially in the Great barrier reef...dream of life

i live opposite the greek islands khios and samos
yes there are really good places to dive here.
strangely we see more groupers at less depth recently . it seems recent strickt limitations and controls on fishing have some effects here

i think north of khios have good diving points
it seems so looking from this coast :)

Never been there my friend

I lived in Lesvos for 5 years though.....going again next weekend for 17 days

depth...

Jason if your in the Northeastern US your not going to have to dive that deep at all. What you want to do is find some structure like a stone jetty or shipwreck. The fish will all congregate there. The main game fish here is the Striped bass.

What you want to do is drop down to the botttom (15' is plenty deep enough). Then keep your eyes up the stripers will be above you or at your level. They cruise over the rocks, they won't be in the cracks.

Where ever your spearing try to get to an exposed point on the jetty/breakwater/wreck etc. and drift with the current. This is where the big stripers normally hang out.

The only other thing is to be quite. Don't hit your fins on the rocks or splash them on the surface. Also when you see that 20 lb striper come out of the murk don't swing the gun on him too fast. Stay calm and take your time.

Best of luck, and again whatever depth your comfortable with will work find if you can find structure at that level.

Originally posted by nickolas
Hi Ivan

Thank you very much.

I just saw you're in northern Australia...........I envy you my friend.

It's my dream to dive there. Especially in the Great barrier reef...dream of life

hi

So you want to be here and I want to be there, in the not so near future I may see you in the Med, Im super keen to dive it and it is the top of my list for places to dive.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT