• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Socks instead of booties

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

oreana123

Dec 1, 2003
I would like to know if any divers wear socks inside their fins and if so, of what material are the socks made? My Sporasub fins are just a little too loose to go without my booties, but my booties kind of constrict my feet, and sometimes the booties are wrinkled up inside the fin boot causing a chafe point. Thanks :confused:

Reactions: jodyfreedive
I wear regular two-ply running socks inside my monofin. My footpockets are way too tight for the 3mm neo-socks. I never chafe, and in the summer my feet don't get cold.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

I wear a pair of athletic socks under my hardsole boots when doing the SCUBA thing and when I wear open heel fins with the 5mil boots- they help keep any water sloshing around in the boots and help them keep their shape.

I'm fortunate :confused: I guess to not need those same athletic socks with the 2 mil booties I use with my 46-48 OMER footpockets. Joys of size 13 feet.

if one was buying new fins, is it worth getting 'booties' (neoprene socks of some form) first, and then finding the right fin size with said 'booties' on?

I think you would want some kind of foot protection because the possibility of blisters. If you don't need them for warmth, get some thin neoprene socks or just use cotton socks like Erik. (You can get 2mm neosocks that have very little bulk).

If you intend on wearing or need to wear booties/socks because of the cold, then certainly make your finpocket decision based on the fit with them on. Remember too that some footpockets will accomodate other maker's blades, so you're not stuck with a good fit and a bunk blade.

In summer i used woolly socks to prevent chaffing when the weather gets cold i swicthed them with neoprene socks (1.5mm with titannium interior for easier wear and wam)

Haven't been in a while, extended business trip, but I like the ankle high, white, cotton athletic socks with my flippers.:)

Reactions: Erik
-Cotton socks with my U/W hockey fins

-3mm socks with my Sporasub foot pockets

-5mm socks with my OMER foot pockets

-6mm+ socks with my Spetton footpockets

Buy the size pocket closest to your foot and you should be able to squeeze in a pair of 3mm's, at least.

Jon

I have used socks oncwe when I was getting ready to dive in when I pulled my booties (2mm) and split the @rse out of em and fortunaetly had a pair of normal sport socks on board and that worked out real well. I thought they'd give me all sorts of drama, but they were fine. I don't use socks solely now, but I do keep a pair in my kit incase the same thing happens again. Hope it helps:cool:

Feet 43, 3mm neo's, fins 44-45, smooth

I bought my cressi gara 2000's one size bigger and wear them with 3mm neo-socks. Fits comfortably. I wouldn't bother wearing wool socks when you can have neoprene ones.

Cheers Joe

I agree with groats I also bought some 3mm neoprene socks and using them in my garra's has added hours to my spearing and has made it a LOT more enjoyable.

I would suggest these over booties for comfort. The exception to this is if you are going to walk on/over rocks or other sharp/abraisive materials in the socks/booties.

Booties are tougher... but it's like wearing your work clothes to bed...

Leave the hat on sven ;)

Rob

I got the 2 ply running socks-they work awesome and are really comfortable. Thanks to all John S

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT