• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

soft hiss in my ears

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

marcus aurelius

Nov 5, 2002
hi all,
anyone familiar with a very soft hiss in their ears after a max.static?
it lasts for about a minute and then just fades away.

(i thought it might have something to do with an increased O2-bloodflow after the apnea...)

marcus

yep, i get that occasionally... like mild tinnitus
i'm not really sure what causes it- you reason sounds plausible enough. i don't always get it, and have never figured out the common factor when i do experience it.

alun

Hiss in ears.

Yeah, I've heard, or read, that noise you hear in your ears can be caused by blood flow pumping past the eardrums. It would stand to reason that after practicing hard statics it may be increased.

That's the most likely explanation. I have very acute hearing, and when it's really quiet I can hear a hissing in my ears. I asked my doctor about it and that's how she explained it.

It's good to hear someone else report this. I experience it after an attempt at a max static (for me about six minutes). This follows a few 'build up' apneas.

If I don't get the whistling it hasn't been a 'good' breath hold!

hi

I dont know about sounds in my ears but, when doing statics I hear all kinds of sounds in my chest, usually a slow low pitched squeaking sound. And when im nearing my first contraction I can hear a thump in my head kind of like a heart beating. Very weird.

cheers

Very many divers report the ears hissing during or after a hard static. Yogis say that when you hear that high pitch noise (under normal conditions) in a very quiet room, you are listening to your own nervous system. I believe that the extra hiss is caused by a change in electrical activity in the nervous system, brought about somehow by the stress of the apnea.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

yogi's hiss

thanx for the comforting replies on the "hiss-situation".
i thought it was some kind of warning from the blood in my brains saying that my head was gonna explode if i don't stop that apnea!

Eric,
your yogi-remark....i wonder, do yogi's "use" apnea as a tool to open doors to their inner self?
I mean to reach certain meditation levels, or even to gain control over certain bodyprocesses?
(i hope my question makes sense, i'm dutch so i don't know if i use the right english words)

later
M.A.

I think Eric has hit it right on the nail - my personal experience is that the hissing or tinitis I hear in my ears is directly porportional to the amount of fatigue, tiredness or stress I have at the moment.

This "nervous system noise" could be an indication of an increase of activity of the body's processes involved in releasing that stress and healing itself.

It would be interesting to know if others on the list experience it the same way I do.

Adrian

i hear my pulse of blood flowing past my ears even more when holding my breath or doing other types of difficult breathing exercises, especially in an anechoic chamber. look this room up in wikipedia if you don't know what it is. it is there.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT